Monday, September 16, 2024

Pneu pneumonia (to the tune of Ophelia)

Until recently, I think if asked, I'd probably put pneumonia in the same bucket as arson or Nazis: categorically terrible, but not something I spent much time thinking about on a regular basis.

And then. Then I got pneumonia.

Pneumonia, you all. Pneumonia is insane. I've never been so sick. For so long!

The above photo was at one of my lowest points. I also got a cold sore for good measure. 

While I did feel tremendously sorry for myself, this is not a post to garner sympathy. I'm now dramatically better.

What I want to say is if you start getting really sick, go to your doctor! Or urgent care, or the ER. Do not wait. There are some terrible viruses going around. 

And if stuff sticks in your lungs, it can turn into bronchitis, or pneumonia.

And then you might feel like you are going to live in bed for the rest of your born days.

On August 26—three full weeks ago—I got in bed with fever and body aches. I practically did not get out of bed for two weeks.

After four days in bed Nick took me to urgent care and they were all, it's not COVID or Flu. There is this terrible virus going around and you should feel better in 10-14 days and come back if you get worse.

So I was just waiting. I wasn't really getting worse, but I wasn't getting better. 

Although when I think about it, I was getting worse, but it was like being the frog in the pot starting with cold water.

So by the time I had to put two feet on each stair and pause to breathe with each step, I wasn't really noticing how much worse that was. Because mostly I had stopped going downstairs and was spending the entire day in bed.

Nothing helped. Not the rescue inhaler. Not the daily steroid inhaler. 

I woke up every morning in a violent coughing fit. It was scary. 

One time I set my alarm sound to The Devil Went Down to Georgia, thinking it would really wake me up, but this is not a way I would recommend anyone start their day unless you like being jolted into sudden and inexplicable terror.

Anyway, last weekend I woke up in a coughing fit, and when I could finally inhale, my lungs were making this weird crackle sound.

Nick had to help me walk. I was panting, taking very shallow breaths, and still barely getting anything. Also, I was crying. Because I was very scared and felt very terrible.

So we went to the ER, where when they asked me what was wrong I said I couldn't breathe and started to cry again.

When you can't breathe, they take you back very quickly.

And once in a room, we ran into our dear family friend Shannon, whose dad was two doors down from me.

Nick went into the corridor to use the bathroom or find snacks or some such, and I heard, "Are you kidding me?" And there Shannon. So we got to catch up over a long number of hours.

And on a side bar, Nick is always disgruntled by the lack of food options at hospitals. It annoys the crap out of me. Every time we've been at any hospital—and over the years this has been many times—he is upset about the lack of food.

This time at the ER I snapped, "Nobody comes to the fucking hospital for the food. You'll survive."

He still tells the story of making a big bag of gorp to take to the hospital when I was going to give birth to India. Like we were embarking on a trek in the Himalayas.

He's still disgruntled by the fact that our doula ate most of it. Once they were like, this might be another C-section, I wasn't allowed to eat anything. 

And then when they put me on an epidural, Nick left to shower and have breakfast.

He announced this proudly upon his return. He was in clean clothes and had had a meal. Like he was going to need his strength.

I was like, if I could feel my legs, I'd kick him right now.

Nick hates these stories because why, he wonders, why are my thoughts towards him so violent? Why so much anger? And I am like, you don't know the half of it.

But back to the matter at hand.

The doctor said I had pneumonia, and gave me IV antibiotics and sent me home with two more oral antibiotics.

For much of last week, I was pretty despondent. I was just going to languish like a consumptive Victorian until I faded away. My face was pale and my hair was pale and my pillowcases were pale, and at some point, we would all just blend.

Although I think consumption was TB?

Now that I can walk several blocks, have the energy and breath for chit-chat, and am confident I'll survive this, pneumonia one of my new topics.

Also, as I understand it, fixating on topics is neurodivergent behavior. The more you know!

This is how it started. I said, "Nick, pneumonia is a really big deal!" 

He was all, "Yes. George Washington DIED of pneumonia."

Whoa.

Then I started looking up famous people who died of pneumonia. And let me tell you, there are a lot lot  lot of them.

I started reading him a list. And he was like, yes, many, many people die of pneumonia. And I was like, wait, but did you know about this person?

Lawrence Whelk!

At a certain point with any New Topic, I think Nick just tunes me out.

But actually, what I'd really like to talk about is what I learned on the internet in the last few weeks.

I spent so much time in bed without much stamina or the ability to focus for long periods of time.

So I watched a lot of Instagram reels. Which I've learned are videos of what people posted on TikTok. But I am old and don't watch TikTok.

I learned that there are many young women who call themselves "tradwives" and are very proud of being in "traditional" relationships where the man has an outside job and the woman has babies and does all of the work in the home.

There is this couple in Texas, both models in their 20s. They're apparently Mormon. The wife is the more beautiful, and the husband, while good looking, has the kind of pale no real smile eyes that make me nervous. 

But they could well both be very nice people. What do I know?

They have three kids, and the wife narrates her professional quality videos with this bedtime-story kind of voice. She makes the craziest things, like Froot Loops from scratch, or if they're going to have grilled cheese sandwiches, she first makes the bread and the cheese. I don't know if she also makes the butter but it seems likely.

She does this while wearing full makeup and designer gowns.

The children, apparently, are with their nanny. I'm not saying this to be snarky. This is what I've learned.

As I said, I spent a lot of time in bed.

There are myriad iterations of this woman, young women who are not models, who are all about their role being that of babymaker, homemaker, foodmaker. In these videos, they are joyful and defiant.

Then there's this group of Mormon women who apparently now have their own show. There were part of a bunch of couples who would hook up with each other's spouses, in what they called "soft swinging" and everything was OK as long as they were all in the same room and there was no penetration.

And then one of them had full on sex with someone else's husband without everyone present, and that exploded everything.

I genuinely think people should live their lives in whatever way they want, as long as they're not hurting anyone. Lots of stuff goes on in the world that I would never have imagined.

And still, I am apparently easily surprised. Not shocked, just surprised.

These people are popular, and because they're popular, they make money from their content. Some of them make lots of money.

And then you know when you watch something, you get served more of the same. So then Instagram kept offering up videos of these ostensibly happy homemakers and Mormons.

I had to make a concerted effort to veer back to yoga and nutritious food makers and holistic health accounts.

I'm not saying these influencers are bad people, though I certainly don't want my children influenced by them. I'm not lumping them in with arson and Nazis. Mainly, I don't understand them.

And I know they're not new to the world or to the internet.

They're just new to me, like pneumonia.

9 comments:

  1. Lisa, that's crazy, glad you're feeling better, I totally get it! Last Winter I got bronchitis and was all "PSA, bronchitis!" on Facebook. Well actually first I asked FB what the hell I may have, and luckily someone diagnosed me so I went in. They gave me 3 meds including codeine so I could sleep and an inhaler, but nothing helped. I coughed so hard I bruised a rib and couldn't use my backhand in pickleball for like 6 weeks which made me very sad. P.s. I'm also obsessed with pickleball now and considering becoming a card carrying nudist. Life changes! (Kelly from MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly! Thank you for this comment, the PS of which made me laugh out loud! I love how enthusiastic you are! As for the bronchitis, that is TERRIBLE. Good for you for seeking out answers—I should’ve asked FB in my second week of illness, because urgent care certainly did me no favors. As for coughing so hard you bruised a rib, I’m not surprised, but that is truly so awful. The coughing with no relief!!! My primary care said going forward I need to call her on day 1 of being sick, which I will do. Here’s to health and vigilance and neither of us getting this sick again! Also, fully support your pickleball ardor and nudism if it makes you happy! Hugs, Lisa

      Delete
  2. Now I want to know which hospital! Sibley now has some fancy vending machines with yogurt sundaes! If you could be more considerate planning your illness perhaps Nick wouldn’t have to go through this hell, you thankless shrew! Joking aside I’m glad you’re feeling better-maybe see you at back to school night-hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! We WERE at Sibley! I guess he missed the yogurt sundae machine? Sibley used to have this lovely juice place in the main hospital. I was there a lot with my mom, and I always bought the lovely fancy juices. But I had to go last week for another Xray and it seems to have closed. But now we know about the sundaes! Thanks and hugs!❤️

      Delete
    2. LOL, my Dad loved the food (and the food prices) at Sibley. In the 90s, he and his lady would drive from Bethesda to hit the Sibley salad bar. Agree that pneumonia is the worst (had it at least twice) at taking you dow hard and for longer than expected. So glad you're on the upswing, Lisa!💕

      Delete
    3. that was Mary Bachinger above 😊

      Delete
  3. I wasn’t signed in -it’s Sarah -Emilia’s Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa! You just told my story. Except for me it was shingles! It had never once occurred to me that shingles would come for me, so I had never bothered getting vaccinated for it. I was down for something like a month, it felt like being stabbed in the side all the time, and ice packs were my best friends -- I ended up giving myself a mild frostbite because I didn't want to take them off ever. I'm still feeling the prickles almost two years later, like an itch I can't scratch. And I have become a shingles vax evangelist.

    Pneumonia sounds m i s e r a b l e though. I'm so so glad you're on the mend! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura! Oh my gosh. Shingles is so terrible. A few friends of mine who were younger than me got it, and one friend showed me her lesions. So I got the shingles vaccine the minute I could. I know that it’s incredibly painful and debilitating. I am so sorry you had to go through that. It is awful that you are still feeling the effects two years later. Gosh. Sending you big hugs and love. LJ

      Delete

Tell me about it.