Friday, May 14, 2010

The day of the forty-four sunsets


This is the weekend.

I've been dreading its approach. I think about it, and my throat closes. My stomach turns over.

I fight the what-ifs.

A year ago today, I rushed out of work at noon, and sped to my parents' house...to wait.

Somehow, even after all those years, I was unprepared. With the call, I knew. And yet, I was absolutely unprepared.

Unprepared for it to happen. Unprepared to sit through hours upon hours of waiting, knowing nothing. A whole Friday of nothing. Most of a Saturday of nothing.

In the end, I was unprepared for the answer to be yes.

And now, a year later, I still have some very dark, painful moments. But more and more, I can look to the light.

I hope that once my dad let go of the heaviness of mortality, he found peace, and rediscovered joy. I hope it's like the Little Prince. I hope he's reveling in the sparkle of the stars.

I hope he's keeping company with old friends and family, watching as many sunsets as he wants, tamping down the baobabs - although the gardening was not so much his thing. He'd do fine with the volcanoes, though - he was always assiduous with the air filters and such.

I'll post the slide show this weekend. I know a day early shouldn't matter, but somehow, it does.

20 comments:

  1. Hugs to you.

    I hope he's reveling in the sparkle of the stars too. My mother had a (possible) near-death experience - she's written about it here -
    http://spinymarshmallows.blogspot.com/2010/04/am-i-dead.html
    she said that it was an amazing experience, such relief, such joy. Maybe it's true, maybe your soul does live on when your body dies...I hope so!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and yours this whole week and weekend Lisa. I wish the same peace you wish for your dad, to be upon your little home.

    Hugs from the prairie,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you! love and hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking at the calendar yesterday and thinking you might be dealing with some rough stuff this weekend. I wish you and your dad peace and light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be thinking of you and your family this weekend. What beautiful people all of you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you this weekend. You have shown so much grace and love this past year and I admire your honesty and openness so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa, thinking about you this weekend. I have have every confidence that your Dad is at peace, most likely at a level far beyond our comprehension.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you and yours peace. I hope that this weekend isn't as difficult as expected.

    Love,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you and your family today. Anniversary dates are hard, hard, hard. Hang in there and feel it. I promise that's better than trying to not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa,

    I lost my grandpa (who I was very close to) to suicide last July and I am so dreading the day you are approaching. I hope this doesn't come off as super-creepy fan girl, but...your grief posts have been comforting for me--sometimes the words you write are the ones I can't spit out without making it sound like word vomit. A dad and a grandpa aren't exactly the same, but I know how rough this grief journey is and I know the need to replay things, the what-ifs, and the nauseating fear and helplessness that came with waiting and not knowing.

    Know that you aren't alone, lady. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers this weekend.

    P.S. I know I'm a total stranger but feel free to e-mail/vent anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and your family are in my thoughts Lisa. I'm hoping the weekend also brings some sweetness with the bitter. Your dad would be so proud of you and of Big J and I hope he somehow sees how wonderful your family is and how strong you are. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry for the hurt you're feeling. Keep Big J, Nick and Betty close. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey girl - Thinking of you today. Also - loving the new heading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Big, soft, warm hugs to you and Nick and Betty. Just be kind to yourself and try to keep your head above it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hugs, and thinking of all of you. You know where to find me, should you need/want to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thinking of you, Betty, and Nick today. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope he's reveling in the sparkle of the stars.

    What an absolutely strikingly beautiful thing to wish for someone.

    I hope you are well, lady. Will take a look at that slideshow now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am woefully behind in my blog reading so I am reading this a bit late. I just wanted to tell you that this was a beautiful post and I hope that this past weekend wasn't too difficult. Anniversaries are really fucking hard but the good side is that you've now made it one whole year. A whole year is behind you and you survived. Well done, lady.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.