Monday, May 15, 2023

Mama, my mama, you are my sunshine, and I love you forever

Tonight India and I are sleeping together in Nana's bed.

She doesn't know how she is going to live without her Nana. I don't know how I'm going to live without my mama.

This morning Betty was rushed to the ICU. Her body was in crisis, and they were working to stabilize her.

Yesterday, out of the blue, she had tremendous pain. She couldn't quite identify where. But so much pain. She had more pain today.

They were doing a pain medication dance, as narcotics lower blood pressure, and hers was crazy low. But ketamine wasn't doing it. They needed to add a narcotic.

She was agitated, in pain.

While we waited for more medication, I sang to her, though I sing for very few. 

I sang, "You Are My Sunshine," because it's a song she loves, and I knew it would soothe her. It's the song she sang to her mom the night she died. 

I sang it over and over, sometimes putting in lyrics about how much I loved her and would always love her.

Sometimes she sang some of the words, too. She loved that song, and she was comforted.

The surgeon offered an operation to see what was happening with her intestines. They suggested an angiogram to figure out a mysterious bleed in her leg, one that had caused massive blood loss. A nephrologist called to talk about emergency dialysis. We were looking at kidney and liver failure.

I said no, no operation. She wouldn't survive. My brother and I talked to the radiologist several times about whether the procedure on her leg could save her, or just buy her a little time.

We didn't want to put her through more trauma if it wasn't going to make a difference.

But in truth, her little broken body was shutting down, bit by bit. 

Her primary care doctor called during one of these conversations and she said, "What does your mom want?"

Today Betty wasn't talking much. She understood everything. But talking intelligibly was a strain.

So I asked her. I asked if she wanted this procedure, which would take an hour and a half, and was, they felt, the best chance to save her.

She gets to choose.

And she said no.

I said, "This most likely means goodbye. Not in a minute, but ultimately goodbye. Are you ready to say goodbye?"

And she said yes. She was done.

We told her very kind doctor, who stopped the two-person restriction for the room, and long-time family friends, with whom we'd been taking turns in the waiting room, came in.

The doctor took her off the machines, just leaving the ones that would keep her comfortable. They increased the pain medication, and authorized more as needed, so there wouldn't be a painful moment.

They said it could take a long time. More than a day. It was impossible to predict. We could stay as long as we liked. Visiting hours no longer mattered.

We all held her hand in turns, and told her loving things.

I kissed my mom's forehead, over and over. I told her how much I love her. What an absolute treasure she's been for my kids, for me. What a blessing it's been to have her with us all the time.

I called home, and India wanted to talk to Nana. I put her on the speaker next to my mom's ear. She said, "Nana, I love you so much. I love you with my whole heart."

That was my mom's last phone call.

We sang "You Are My Sunshine" again. My brother sang it, though he only knows half the words, it turns out.

And neither of us can carry a tune.

We kept talking to her, holding her hand, rubbing her feet.

She began to seem farther and farther away.

My brother and I were each holding one of her hands, and I was telling her loving things when she stopped breathing and her heart stopped beating.

It was fast, and it was peaceful.

She decided she was ready to let go, and she let go. She was small, but she was mighty.

Today, in 2009, is the day my dad left us. I don't believe this is a coincidence.

We stayed for the two hours they allow you to stay. In truth, it's good they give a time limit, because I'd have stayed the night. I couldn't bear the thought of leaving her alone.

I still can't bear the thought.

Another friend came. We took turns saying our goodbyes.

I kept holding her hand, kissing her, telling her I love her.

My brother took her glasses off her face, and this gutted me. Her glasses.

We took off the ear tags and the oxygen nose thing.

And we stayed as long as we could.

Then I said one final goodbye to her small body, knowing her soul had already floated free.

She left making the choice, surrounded by people who have loved her a long, long time.

I know she wasn't scared, she wasn't in pain, and she wasn't alone. My dad, her family, her dear, dear friends--all of them were waiting for her.

And now she's at peace. And we are devastated.

How do I live without my mama?

34 comments:

  1. I’m sorry, hunny bunny. You loved your mama so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hunny bunny.

      Delete
  2. I am so, so sorry, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending so much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, mg. I bet Heart has a great song for this. :)

      Delete
  5. Dearest Lisa, My deepest condolences to you, your brother and the rest of the family. So terribly sorry for your loss. I am at a loss for words. May she rest in peace. And may you find the strength to bear this tremendous loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family. Lots of love and hugs, Nehal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nehal, for such thoughtful kindness. Love and hugs to you.

      Delete
  6. Oh Lisa, I am so sorry to read your mum has passed. Betty was amazing. I am crying for you literally sitting here sobbing. Losing our mumas is never easy and never gets easier. All my love and strength to you and your family. From Jo in Rakaia NZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I know you know big grief, and you lived through this with me with my dad. Sending you such love and hugs.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful send off for your brilliant mama. We sang to my mom as she left too. There seem to be few clues on how to appropriately send a love across the Rainbow Bridge. Harder still to sit in one’s own mortality knowing our own time is quickly here. Thank you for sharing this perfect send off that describes a woman choosing when her time to move on has come. She left on a wave of love and the most important parts of her will remain lodged in your hearts. She will be there every day since all matter in the universe is constant. But you know that already.
    Sending you all love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The above comment was not supposed to be anonymous - love jen lewis

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Jen. Sending you giant love and hugs. I know you know this hurt, and your words are so kind and thoughtful.

      Delete
    3. Also, google is being a dick and I cannot seem to sign in with LG account for comments. So I'm anonymous, too. :)

      Delete
  8. Sending you, your family and friends all my love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Lisa, sending you and your family all the love and hugs. Your Mom was an incredible woman and she will be missed. We loved seeing her in the neighborhood when we lived near you guys. May her memory be a blessing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Big hugs.

      Delete
  10. Tears. I’m so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lisa. Thanks and hugs.

      Delete
  11. Dearest Lisa, We are all so blessed to have been touched by her kindness, but also by getting to witness the shared joy you two brought to your kiddos. She has left us all a legacy of how light shines through us with each soft step and great smile. It sounds like her transition was so beautiful and peaceful, thank you for sharing this moment, one that we can all hope for when our own time comes. I know you know grief, the waves at times, other times the weight. Im praying the love you release to her heavenly form with each tear is answered with her messages of comfort placed on your heart. - Victoria D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. I love what you've said. I hope we can give each other big hugs in person soon. Big love to you.

      Delete
  12. I am so so sorry. Sending you all the love and light I have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. May her memory be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. “ I couldn't bear the thought of leaving her alone.”. This.
    I felt I was “leaving” my mother behind, in that hospice room where we had only arrived 5 minutes earlier. It felt so wrong. My sympathies, Olivia in PNW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh, Olivia. Yes, you know, and I'm sorry you do. Thanks and hugs.

      Delete
  15. Lisa, I am so sad for you and your loss. I can feel the beauty in your voice as you wrote this and I cried as I read it. I’ve followed your blog since your dating years and am so sorry to hear that it was Betty’s time to go. She is probably so happy she was playing on the floor so recently and had so much time to enjoy her grandkids. It can’t be a coincidence that she departed on the anniversary of your father’s last day, and I believe she felt warmly welcomed. Take care of yourself. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cara, for sticking with me, and for your very thoughtful comment. I believe she was warmly welcomed, too. Love and hugs.

      Delete
  16. We are so sorry for your loss! You are all in our thoughts and our prayers. Betty was a wonderful women and she loved all so much and you all loved her back there is nothing more important than that! May your many memories of her provide some support during this difficult time. Sending a big hug Kenia, Ron, Gabo abd Nati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She adored all of you! And you know what she absolutely loved? Your flan. :) Love and hugs to all of you.

      Delete

Tell me about it.