Thursday, June 05, 2008

Vaseline and stripey socks

I have a number of favorite products: Vaseline, duct tape, hair dryer, yellow sticky notes, and Sharpie pens. This list gets added to occasionally, but these are the things that have been on it for years, things I do not want to live without.

Writing it out like that, it occurs to me that this could be a great list of products for a kidnapping or heist or something. Don't you think?

Anyway. Vaseline. This is a product I seriously use for just about everything.

I use it to take off my eye make up at night. If my nails or the ends of my hair are really dry, I'll put a little on my fingertips and rub it in. In the winter, I slather it everywhere, even on my face. I'm constantly smearing it on my elbows, knees, and feet, even in summer.

I stick Vaseline on keys when locks are cranky. I've put it on door hinges. Hell, if something in the house seems dry, squeaky, or in some way uncooperative, Vaseline is my answer. I realize it's probably not always the right answer, but so far it's worked.

We have a ginormous jar of Vaseline - like, so huge I could fit my entire hand in and use it as a scoop if I wanted. Clearly I am not on the non-petroleum bandwagon. I would be chagrined to give it up.

The last two nights I've slathered Vaseline on my feet, put on little footie socks, and gone to bed. Your body temperature goes up at night, the socks keep the moisture in, and in the morning, your feet are in great shape.

I definitely recommend it. My formerly dry feet are super-moisturisey happy smooth right now.

The only downside of this treatment is that if you tend to sleep in not a whole lot, and you don't sleep alone, you might bear in mind that prancing into bed in your footie socks is not a pretty look.

On the continuum of hot things to wear to bed, footie socks are on the very low end of the scale.

You could, in fact, face a significant amount of ridicule. It might surprise you to hear that it won't even necessarily help if your socks are of the cute stripey orange and red with little silver sparkles variety.

So whatever. It's not a good look for anyone.

I do realize this.

Which is the main reason I didn't do my hands at the same time.

11 comments:

  1. I know a girl who thinks of ghosts
    Shell make ya breakfast
    Shell make ya toast
    She dont use butter
    She dont use cheese
    She dont use jelly
    Or any of these
    She uses vaseline
    Vaseline
    Vaseline

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know this song, but I just looked it up, and I love it! Thanks, FK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story and advice. Just in time for summer sandals!

    I wouldn't want to live without Chapstick, basically a little tube of Vaseline in various colors ("All Natural" being the fave). Chapstick is within my reach at all times - desk at work and home, kitchen near sink, backdoor of house, medicine cabinet, nightstand, purse, laptop bag, camera bag...everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am a Vaseline devotee. I have a big jar in my cupboard and little jars stashed all about the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to use large quantities of Vaseline on my feet back when I spent most of the year barefoot... but now that I have to wear shoes, my feet tend to not need it quite so much. Nevertheless, Vaseline rocks. So does the word nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to use Vaseline on my feet then I got some fancy expensive stuff as a gift. The Vaseline worked much better. I think I'll go back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HKW - Lip balm! Chapstick isn't my fave, although I do like it. Forgot to mention lip balm. I have it everywhere as well!

    Maiden Metallurgist - Stashed about the house is a good idea.

    VVK - Nevertheless is a great word. And I feel like I need it just as much, but I think it's because I wear all these ridiculous shoes that rub in random places.

    DCup - This is the first time I've done the overnight feet moisture business, and it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do the "footie socks to bed with lotion underneath" thing too, although only about once a month because I keep forgetting. But every time I actually remember, it works SO well!

    In fact, I'm going to do it right now.

    Good thing there's no one waiting for me in bed. Or is that a bad thing? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this and immediately thought of you.

    Anyone with the inclination to mock you should be glad you're not that guy.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice - definitely going to try.

    Funny you should talk about socks in bed. I always wear socks to bed. My feet get cold when uncovered, so I always have socks on. I get in bed, wait until I think they are all warmed up, then take off my socks w/ my feet and push them to the end of the bed. This. Drives. Hubby. Nuts.

    One time we found 16 socks down there when we were changing the sheets. He was appalled, I was actually kinda proud. I mean, that's A LOT of socks!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.