Monday, October 27, 2008

So far, so good

Today we successfully arrive at one month of married bliss.

Also, pretty soon we'll have known each other a year. Ha.

We got to Dulles super early when we left for our honeymoon. It was a United/Lufthansa codeshare, and we asked if we could get an upgrade. Which, at least historically, was not a problem on United. We figured we'd use miles. Or money. Or whatever.

And the Lufthansa woman said there was no way to do it. We should've applied two weeks prior. But she'd see if they could give us a courtesy upgrade.

We asked if the fact that we were on our honeymoon helped.

Nick was all, "We really did just get married on Saturday! Want to see pictures?"

We had Nick's BlackBerry with us, and that morning people had emailed us a few photos, most notably the one above. Which was taken by a guest and is one of my absolute favorites.

He was dying to show them to someone.

And really, what is a woman behind a counter going to say when such an enthusiastic guy beams at her and offers her pictures?

She looked at the pictures appreciatively.

And then we waited.

Of course we were still reliving all the tiny moments in the wedding. So then we sat in the waiting area, huddled over his little screen, all ooey gooey.

Then we waited some more. Was this a good sign? A bad one?

I looked up from scrolling through pictures and said, "I sure hope this works out."

(Thinking, crap, it's a long flight to Germany with a man who is going to take up part of my seat.)

He took my face in his hands.

"I'm absolutely sure it will."

(I love this confidence! In the face of complete uncertainty!)

"How can you be so sure?"

"I just know."

"But how do you know?"

(Me, I have no faith in airlines. Even good ones.)

"I just have complete certainty. I know how much I love you. And I know how well we communicate. And..."

"Oh, sweetie. I meant the upgrade."

"Oh. That. I give that 50/50."

14 comments:

  1. Yippy! One month... only years and years to go... :-)

    That is a beautiful picture of you two... but you can't leave us hanging, did you get the upgrade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yah, only years and years. :)

    Nope. No upgrade. I took Ambien and Nick watched movies all night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo! I can almost hear the music, laughter and love and happiness in the air. Time flies - doesn't seem like a month has passed already - so happy for the two of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, your story is so inspirational. Thanks again for sharing. :o)

    Was it at least YOUR OWN Ambien? I hope Nick doesn't let you take other people's drugs. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HKW - Oh, thank you! No, it doesn't seem like any time has gone by. I'm pretty happy to hit a year, though, I have to say.

    Jessica - Thank you. :) And, no, cringe, it wasn't - but I got it from a friend, not a stranger! That counts for something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good call on scoring the Ambien.

    If I ever get married, I'm totally going to register at CVS (the pharmacy, if that wasn't clear. I don't need any more Whitman's Samplers or Chia Pets).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heart ambien for flights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tylen*l PM is good also, especially if you're someone like me with a bad back, and bound to wake up in pain regardless, and thus you might as well premedicate.

    Glad it wasn't 50/50 on your relationship! I'd say that's much more like 100!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Giggling madly over here! I love a good split conversation. Hee hee! :) And congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so perfect! I love those moments. Sweet men are just the best, no?

    ReplyDelete
  11. FreckledK - That is veryvery practical of you!

    Amisare - We try. :)

    Slightly Disorganized - Such an nice product!

    Sarah - Tylenol PM leaves me all dopey and hung over the next day, though. I do use it in a pinch. And I hope it's 100! That's my intention!

    A.S. - I enjoy a good split conversation as well! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking at your wedding pictures makes me want to marry again... for about 5 seconds.

    Seriously, though, even Stevie Wonder can see how happy you two are in these pictures. You give this lightly jaded man hope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LivitLuvit - Sweet men ARE the best! It makes me wonder why I ever wasted time on non-sweet men.

    RestaurantRefugee - Ahh, than you! I am glad to hear that. And lightly jaded is a lot lower on the jaded scale than I was.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.