Friday, October 24, 2008

Wake up, Maggie. Or, to think I used to win the Shock Value Game.

I never used to know song titles or who sang what song.

And then I started spending all this time with Nick, who has satellite radio, which tells you the name of the song and the artist. Which meant that eventually, I would see patterns in taste.

For example, I now know that Nick hates Heart. I'd never have known that if the radio didn't tell us who sang what. And every time it says Heart, he changes the station.

So the other day, "Magic Man" - by Heart! - came on, and he immediately changed stations. Rod Stewart was on the next station. He left it. I knew he would, from prior experience.

"You hate Heart."

"I do."

"And you loooove Rod Stewart."

"I do."

"You really, really love him."

"I know."

"You love Rod Stewart so much."

"I do, Lisa. I love Rod Stewart so much that if I could, I'd go back and give him a blow job during the height of his career."

"Really?"

"Yep."

"When would that have been?"

"Sometime in the mid-70s."

"At which point you were..."

"Maybe seven or eight. Which, you know..."

"Stop! You win! I can't even pretend this conversation is normal anymore."

11 comments:

  1. I hope Rod Stewart is not as anathema to you as he is to me.

    Though one wonders if either of you will be able to listen to Rod Stewart without thinking of this conversation - I'd be a bit careful about demonstrating one's Shock Value prowess - you never know what you might taint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Heart. Like, have a very weird affection for them. Nick is missing out.

    I pretty much hate RS...except Maggie May. Everyone loves that song. To not like that song is akin to...not liking blow jobs from the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once, when I was about five, I was supposed to be the girl on stage that Rod Stewart sang Forever Young to- but I got too nervous once I saw the HUGE stadium of people.

    Silly five year old nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica - I don't have strong feelings about Rod Stewart one way or the other. And I try to keep the image of Nick giving ANYONE a blow job, EVER, out of my mind. Eeeee!

    Lemmonex - I like Heart as well. And I am going to use that line if anyone ever tells me they don't like that Maggie May song. Who wouldn't love a blow job from the future?

    Nicole - WOW! Because of your dad? That is very cool. Sorry you didn't do it. I love that Forever Young song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. magic man! jason has said that he were an awesomely fierce drag queen, this song would definitely be incorporated into his act :)

    and now, unfortunately, i don't think i'll ever be able to hear barracuda without thinking of sarah palin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, Magic Man in a drag queen act - so fabulous!

    It is weird, song associations. They're so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the song title/artist part of satellite radio, and I keep hoping that some of the regular stations here in the Bay Area will start inserting that info into their broadcast. No such luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha ohhh. You and Nick are too too funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just imagining what your children are going to be like. There doesn't seem to be a dull gene in either of your DNA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a seriously disturbing conversation, lol! Worse than some of the ones I end up getting myself into . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah - I love it, too. It's opened up a whole new world to me.

    A.S. - Thank you! We have a good time, but I am pretty sure it's a narrow swath that appreciates our humor. :)

    FreckledK - I hope they are highly entertaining!

    Paula - I know, it's really sick. Usually I can run with things, and I like pushing to see how far it can go, but he won this time.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.