Friday, March 30, 2007

Bloggers! Live, In Person Bloggers!

I went to my first DC Blogger happy hour last night, kindly organized by I-66. Who is utterly charming and welcoming. And it was such fun!

The truth is, I can be really shy when I don't know people. I was so glad to see LMNt immediately, because I'd met him before in person once before. He's really cool and fun to talk to, and he doesn't know this but I'd decided I could just hide behind him all evening if I felt shy. But everyone was so nice! It was easy to talk to people.

It was cool to put faces and real-life personalities with writing. I mean, there were a couple people, like Arjewtino for example, who I recognized from photos. I had that, "Hey, wow, I know you!" feeling.

Also, it was funny to realize how invested I'd gotten in some people's stories. Inowpronounceyou, for example. When I learned who he was and introduced myself, I wanted to just scoop him up and give him a big hug and say "I've been so worried about you!"

Ridiculous, right? But it's true.

And Roosh, I'd been scared of him because of a couple posts of his that just seemed, well, mean. I was talking to the incredibly lovely KassieK, who mentioned something about Roosh and how he was such a nice person. And I replied, "He is? I'm afraid of him!"

This made her laugh so hard. And so of course I had to go introduce myself to him and tell him how I've never commented on his blog because I thought he might be mean. This astounded him. In person? Funny and charismatic. Not remotely mean.

I'm so glad I went. Everyone was incredibly interesting, engaging, funny. And I wound up hugging a lot of them goodbye. Probably because they didn't feel like strangers in the first place. Isn't that nice?

21 comments:

  1. I know that I met you upon my arrival, but I hadn't adjusted to my surroundings yet and had to make a run for the bar. You had those cute glasses, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. he doesn't know this but I'd decided I could just hide behind him all evening if I felt shy.

    Did you forget that you told me this a week ago? Dork.

    And about Roosh? This is the part where I say I told you so. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. FreckledK - I did meet you just as you'd arrived on your way to the bar. I had big chunky brown glasses on. It was so nice to meet you!

    LMNt - Oh, God, I actually told you that? How come I say those things out loud all the time? Yes, fine, re: Roosh, you told me so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for coming, and thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you had a good time. It was a pleasure to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely remember you now! I'll try not to be such a bubble-head next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I-66 - Thank you again for organizing and being so welcoming. Really.

    Freckled - You weren't a bubble head at all! Looking forward to chatting more at the next one. Unless you try to get me to sing karaoke. In which case I will avoid you like the plague.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so nice to meet you last night. the first time is always the hardest! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you be ANY sweeter?Thanks...it was great to meet you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I met you. I'm just trying to remember when... Anyways, it was nice meeting you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie - It was great to meet you as well! It is true - I am so looking forward to the next time, when I walk in feeling like I really do know people!

    INPY - Thank you! If you worked with me and heard the vitriol I've been spewing at the office this week, you'd definitely think I could be sweeter.

    Jo - We did meet and chatted briefly, but I'm not sure at what point in the evening (somewhere, for me, between beers one and three). It was fun to meet you, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I certainly couldn't forget you! Another Lisa with cute glasses? The more the merrier. It was so nice to chat with you, and thanks for the vote of confidence on blogging.

    Can't wait to see you next month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AJ - Absolutely - the more the merrier! I had a great time talking to you! And am very much looking forward to hanging out next month!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, can we see the cute glasses, too?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think one of the things I'm most excited about moving to D.C. is that there is such a large community of bloggers. Right now we live in the sticks, so besides the 14 year old girls, no one is blogging besides us. I'm now going to check out some of these links to see what I have to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of these centuries I should show up. Hmm... I wonder if I'll scare people there too.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neil - Certainly! Let me find a glasses pic!

    Dionna - you should start with I-66 - he's been the social organizer the past year and seems to be very much in the middle of the DC blogger scene!

    VVK - Wait...I thought you lived in the midwest and worked with elves???

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was so great to meet you...we def need to do that again soon and so glad you came and had fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do live in the midwest with some enslaved elves... but I just accepted a job in DC. I've actually been in DC for two months now doing other stuff, but couldn't make it to this past happy hour. I'm going to miss the elves though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. good stuff. im like a teddy bear, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kassy - Yes! Looking forward to next month!

    VVK - Since your friend owns them, you probably have access to them whenever you want, no? Welcome! Are you new to DC or have you lived here before?

    Roosh - Yes. Just like a hip teddy bear.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm new to DC... so far, I've had fun... we'll see how things go once the job starts. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.