Friday, June 08, 2007

File under LOJ. As in lack of judgement. Serious lack of judgement.

If you have a day where all you eat all day is two Balance bars and a couple pieces of honeydew and then you drink a lot lot lot of wine, you will feel like complete and utter A-S-S the next day.

You know this. I know this.

It just happened. Sometimes it just happens. My work day was busy, and I worked out over lunch and barely had time to shower before going straight to a meeting. End result, not much food in my day.

The Dementor was in town, and we met up after work and had a drink at the bar at the Ritz before he went off to his power dinner. Which left me with just enough time to go home, change into shorts, and head up to T's house to hang out with my two closest friends. Because she is moving, this was the last of our weekly hang out, drink wine, catch-ups at her house.

I knew, as I kept pouring myself glass after glass of wine, that it was a bad idea. I also know why I was doing it. It's not a mystery to me.

Glass 1: Purely social.

At the Ritz, why the hell not? Oh, and that's one more thing I ate - nuts - they brought us some mixed nuts and we laughed and said that was absolutely perfect. Sums both of us up.

Glass 2: T said, "Wine?" Yes, please.

It was so great to see the Dementor. After we hugged goodbye, and I'd walked about a block, I suddenly wanted to cry, and that rattled me. We are friends of sorts now, and we have this incredibly intense connection, even when we aren't delving into intense topics. I don't want to be with him, and yet he still gets me in that red hots way. I hate that.

Glass 3: More? Absolutely!

I'm tired of fretting about my dad all the time. And my mom. I'm tired of being scared. I'm just tired.

Glass 4: I'll just go ahead and pour this one.

T is leaving. She is one of my nearest and dearest friends. I know New Jersey isn't that far. But it's not six blocks up the hill. It's too far for weekly hang-outs on her patio. It's too far for a last minute drink or Maggie Moo's or walk in the park with her dog. It's too far.

Glass 5: Just a little more. Because who wants to be able to walk a straight line home?

The Director has been so amazing to me, and I like him, and I am truly thankful to have had him in my life this past month. And he is leaving for good in a few weeks.

Nobody thinks I'm great at moderation, myself included. But by this age, goodness. You'd think I'd have some grip on the fact that while wine feels really, really good at the time, that much feels just as bad, if not worse, the next day.

As a friend of mine likes to say, nobody ever looks back and says, "Wow, now that was a great idea!"

12 comments:

  1. A certain someone has convinced me of the merits of Gatorade in such situations. I recommend wholeheartedly.

    And keep one in your fridge, because sometimes it's just a 5-glass night. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dagny - Excellent suggestion - thanks! And I love Gatorade. Especially orange flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orange flavored Gatorade always reminds me of Tang.

    Plus, no mustache.

    Lack of moderation is fine, in moderation. Every once in a while, a truly unwise consumption of alcohol is just the thing to do. As is the inevitable suffering that follows, to remind you to only do it once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this one, I laughed, I cried. Tricky thing, the alcohol. Striking a balance between pain-killer and life-killer is one of the most difficult things I've watched adults do, if they're drinkers (unlike Mom - though sometimes I think she equates alcohol consumption with alcoholism, God love her). It helps, and it hurts. As Homer Simpson says, "the cause and solution to all of life's problems." I have a long, deep, and twisted relationship with ethanol, including manufacturing it (at the brewery).

    Byron wrote, "Wine cheers the sad, revives the old, inspires the young, makes weariness forget his toil." It kept my head above water (and from exploding) during my divorce, and battles with her mother over Francesca. But I remember clearly the nights the bottle let me down.

    Hemingway said that "wine offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased," which I disagree with: craft beer is a far more sophisticated chef d'oeuvre.

    But Churchill said it best, and at the risk of great risk, I begrudgingly aspire to this wisdom:

    “Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.”

    Be safe. Take it easy. More mixed nuts.

    C2H6O,

    I mean CIAO,

    Your Last Name

    ReplyDelete
  5. Age shmage. It's perfectly OK to drink oneself silly every now and again. Or every weekend. Whatever. :)

    I recommend Alka Seltzer. The morning relief kind works best, but regular will do. It is miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As previously discussed, I strongly recomment a Gatorade/Excedrine combo. Works wonders. 'And keep a few in your fridge -- cause sometimes, it's a 2 Gatorade morning. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WiB - Yes, must try to avoid the orange mustache. Particularly now since I'm all growed up.

    Giordano - Thanks for all the good quotes. Boy, is it tricky, my friend. Next time I see you, here or Texas, we will have to catch up on so many years. Over drinks.

    GN - Age schmage. Thanks! :)

    LMNt - Very smart. Because even if it's not a two Gatorade morning, you might have someone who was out carousing with you who is equally in need. :) And with that, I'm off like a prom dress to join the Director for some hair of the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also recommend Pedialyte. Please don't ask me how I know. And it comes in popsicle form!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Up until the age of 34, I had a charmed life, filled with late-night drinking and hangover-free mornings. No longer. I'm either sick and feel like a jackass, sick, or just a jackass.

    Like the woman who eats like a horse and remains as light as a feather, it is destined to one day catch up to you. But it sure is fun, up until you hit that wall.

    Oh, and I find a few glasses of water and an Advil before pouring yourself into bed usually does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BBG - Popsicle form would've been perfect for me yesterday! And next time we talk I WILL ask you how you know... :)

    FK - Wow - you're a lot stronger than me! I started getting hangovers in my early 20's. Water and Advil pre-bed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's kind of how I go about drinking wine. I feel bad and drink a glass at first socially and then one glass turns into four and then I'm whining and it's just never pretty. Then I do it again! Three nights later! Because apparently, I NEVER LEARN.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heather - I know! It's so ridiculous to do over and over. And yet, such a hard thing to remember in the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.