Friday, June 22, 2007

The LG cocktail and long-distance catching up

My friend Texpatriate has made up a new drink: the Lemon Gloria.

It sounds a little fancy and a lot delightful.

2 0z Tito's vodka
1 fresh lemon, juiced or 2 Tbs lemon juice extract
Sprig of fresh mint
Champagne

1. Lightly crush mint, add to shaker of ice.
2. Add Tito's and lemon juice. Shake well.
3. Pour a tall glass 3/4 full of sparkly white.
4. Strain shaker into glass, slowly, without foaming.
5. Garnish with lemon slice covered in sugar.

He's older than me and so I've literally known him since I was born. Our families are old, old friends. Our parents were in the Peace Corps in Afghanistan, and then both families lived in Bangladesh while we were children. We later overlapped for a year in Delhi.

Without relatives around, our families became family for each other, celebrating many a holiday together. Once, in high school, someone suggested to his younger brother that I might be a good dating prospect. And his brother said, "Lisa? That would be like incest!" Exactly.

He and I recently reconnected through the blog world. He lives in Texas and we haven't been in touch in years. But Betty told his mom about my blog, and his mom told him.

And now I have a new old old friend. And I have to find this fancy schmancy hand-crafted vodka (which I'd never heard of before) and try it! Thanks, J!

12 comments:

  1. I've seen Tito's outside of Austin. It's my husband's favorite, really quite good. Thanks for the cocktail recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. - Mint for spice, and fresh, living gardens
    - Tito's for the highest qualities of fire and water
    - Lemon for acidity, to balance the sugar sweetness, and for invigorating citrus flavors
    - Sparkling white for your effervescence.

    Family and friends never seem to be that long-distanced to me - again we pick it up from where we left off like no gap.

    I lobe eet,

    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. HKW - Wow - cool! If you try it, let me know how it is!

    J - I know, it really does feel that way. It's so amazing and wonderful - and makes me feel like I do have lots of family. It's been like that with all the overseas friends I've reconnected with as adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lemon Gloria sounds tasty... I'll let you find the Tito's... then hit you up for one. :-)

    As for the blending of the definitions of 'family' and 'friends', that seems to be the norm just about any place where 'family' mean 'extended family.' With my family, the line between friends and family is so blurred that I have no idea who's what... not that it matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious. I'll be passing it on to my cocktail maker, The Honey.

    I'm sure we'll be drinking them made with Absolu or Grey Goose, but after three or so, I won't be able to tell.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It sounds a little fancy and a lot delightful." It sounds just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. VVK - I think you are absolutely right. Living in India, we called my parents' friends "uncle" and "auntie" - as you said, family and friend lines are totally blurred. I like that level of closeness with family friends.

    DCup - If you make it, please let me know! And in case you're still collecting urine for the garden, please reassure me that those jars have stayed in the bathroom. :)

    PJ - That's one of the loveliest things I've heard in a long time! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds delish! Vodka with lemon is my all-time favorite drink, so the champagne and mint are just icing on the cake! Wow, I've never known someone who had her own drink before! You could be the next margarita! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. G&D - I know! I think the mint makes it sound really yummy! Ha ha - the next margarita. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a heads up, you can find Tito's vodka at Schneider's on Capital Hill (otherwise known as My Happy Place)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon - That's great to know! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ugggh pig roasts! i've been to one of those. i couldnt even watch people eat the roasted pig. there was still hair on it! ew. that drink sounds delish tho.

    also, i tagged you. check out my latest post for the meme rules.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.