Saturday, November 22, 2008

Alone! All alone!

It's Saturday night and I'm unreasonably excited to be home alone.

I took a hothothot shower and put on fleece. I'm scooping peppers into homemade guacamole, and when I get to the bottom of the bowl, I'm going to get the last bits with my fingers. I might even lick the sides. And I have an enormous bowl of popcorn - popped in a pan with lots of oil.

I love popcorn for dinner. I love not having to have a sensible meal.

Nick, he is out on a man-date with a foreign service guy we met on the plane on our way home from Turkey. I was invited to join, and he's an interesting character, but the truth is, I'm over-peopled.

I think what it comes down to is that I'm a very social introvert. I have been out practically every night for the last two weeks. And today I hit a wall.

I love people. I love seeing my friends. There were weeks leading up to the wedding where I didn't have time to be social. And I've been making up for it with a vengeance.

But when I spend too long with no alone time, I get peopled out. I start to lose it.

I got to a point where I was just so tired. Cranky. I absolutely couldn't bear the thought of going out and talking to anyone. And I must add, with some guilt, I was so looking forward to a few hours entirely alone. Alone alone. No Nick. Nobody.

I was practically shoving Nick out the door tonight as he was lingering, kissing me goodbye. "You'll be late! Bye! Have fun!"

He asked how I knew he and our new friend wouldn't be on the town flirting with women and going wild without me.

"Honey, I trust you."

God love the man who can ask you that while wearing an outfit that includes his favorite black felt clogs.

He'll be home by ten.

10 comments:

  1. Oh I so feel you. Sometimes you just need an evening to yourself, with wine, guacamole, and some great DVDs. Hey, it's cold out, so whatcha gonna do anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - it's such a good night to be all warm and comfy inside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blissfully alone. I miss my alone time now that I actually go to an office every day.

    Hope you enjoyed the solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have too much alone time if I didn't go to an office, but I could use a little more than I get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last night was also spent on our couch in fleece and blankets and with unsensible chips and salsa/hotdogs for dinner. It was PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently last night was DC Blogger stay in the house night. There was Thai food delivery, a particularly spicy Zinfandel, and books at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, on the other hand, went out with my hubby and friends for the first time in FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes, after a long shift at Williams Sonoma where all I do is talk talk talk to everyone, I can't wait for a night of silence. The extrovert-ey job is making me such a homebody.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds just what you needed! And, I'm all about the black felt clogs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds just what you needed! And, I'm all about the black felt clogs!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.