Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yayyayyay! Sparkles! Rainbows! Hope! Yay!

I never thought I'd say this, but Fox was my channel of choice last night.

We were at Rustico, and they had CNN and Fox and MSNBC (I think?) on. Plus football. It was more TV than my brain was equipped to handle. Plus they kept doing all this animated analysis of stuff, and it made me a little dizzy.

Fox, however, Fox worked for me.

The state information on Fox was the easiest to understand. I suppose it's because it's TV for dumb people - and simplification of the information worked in my favor.

It was also deliciously excellent to see Karl Rove up there eating a shit sandwich as they called state after state for Obama.

Suck it, Evil.

And, to be filed under wtf? - what was the deal with Anderson Cooper and the hologram man? The sound was off on that TV, and I really didn't understand what was going on. Way too "Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi" for me. But maybe this is because I am old.

I listened to McCain's speech and thought, wow, this is the man I used to respect. Lucky for us he turned into such a huge sellout, but I did used to respect him. Then I noticed Palin looking like she was holding back tears. And I was maliciously delighted.

And when Obama spoke, I cried. It just couldn't have gone better.

Bush can go back to Texas and ride his bicycle or whatever it is he does. Palin can give back the $150,000 of campaign clothes and get back in her Carharts and negotiate trade missions with Russia from her porch. And McCain can use the time he now has on his hands to figure out how many houses they have.

And Obama can start to repair all the damage wrought during the past eight years of mega-greed-fueling asswipe loseriness.

I feel like we've redeemed ourselves in the eyes of the world. I feel like things will really start to change for the better.

The world is just a warmer, friendlier, rosier, more hopeful place today, isn't it?

20 comments:

  1. The CNN hologram explanation was the location of the interviewee was "very loud". Did you see the hologram of the capitol as they reported the House/Senate seats? Much better than beam-me-up man.

    "Suck it, evil" - you have such a way with words. Perfect!

    It's very exciting, having hope feels so damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't see that hologram. That's less weird than "beam-me-up man".

    So exciting!!! It does feel good to have hope again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading and watching news clips from around the world this morning was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so TOTALLY with you on this one! This is the first time I've felt proud to be an American in a looong while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Dallas. Bush is moving here.

    Oy.

    Nothing could wipe the beaming smile off of my face as Obama was delivering his victory speech. The emotion, the history of it all, was amazing. Capture last night in your head as a vivid memory, because sure enough, someone will ask you where you were when we elected our first African-American president in a landslide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wooooo Hooooooo!!! :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I am covered in puppies and rainbows and chunky monkey ice cream today.

    It is a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cried as well. I feel like we're getting the country back from a bunch of thugs who have been trampling on my beloved Constitution for 8 years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I loved this post. Especially the part about it being TV for dumb people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An amazing night. AMAZING. My brother was doing canvassing for Obama in a predominantly black neighborhood on Monday. He met an 85 year old woman. She cried while she told him that she was in her 40's when the Civil Rights Act was passed. She said to him "We went from the back of the bus to the White House!"

    I'm so hopeful that we can now try to regain the respect of the rest of the world, fix some of the things that are so broken here at home and move on from the last 8 years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a wonderful day, I agree. Especially because I got to read "suck it, evil" in the same post as "The world is just a warmer, friendlier, rosier, more hopeful place today, isn't it"

    ...

    and concur with both sentiments simultaneously. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lis, I went to yoga last night specifically so that by the time i got home, all the nail biting would be over. As I walked out of the studio, they called California for Obama, and I cried.

    I cried in the car on the way home, I cried while I watched the DVR'd coverage, I cried while I watched Obama take the stage in Grant Park, and then I cried during his speech.

    So, really, I cried enough for all of us. And it really is a better more hopeful place. With Obama cupcakes to go around! (I have some leftover from last night!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicole - Yes! Delicious!

    J. - I agree. It's been hard to feel good about being American with such a terrible regime in place.

    Jo - Ugh. Well, better Dallas than the White House. And you are right - people will ask. It's one of those place in time moments.

    A.S. - I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Lem - That is the BEST way to feel. I hope your Obamover goes away soon.

    Wendy - It was impossible not to. So much emotion swirling around this. I was so scared. And then so happy and sad all at the same time.

    longredcape - Heh. Thanks! :)

    Cheryl - That must've been such an incredibly powerful conversation.
    Yes, exactly - regain respect, fix, move forward!

    Jessica - You totally rock. You always notice the bits that really please me. I almost put the "warmer friendlier" sentence right after "suck it" but then it worked better at the end. :)

    Slightly Disorganized - I feel you. I considered skipping the early bits, but just couldn't help myself. And I want an Obama cupcake! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The world is just a warmer, friendlier, rosier, more hopeful place today, isn't it?

    Yes, it is.

    And I'm glad I'm not the only one who cried tears of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a good speech.
    i cried.
    it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's a lot of repair work to do, but the outlook sure look rosy, doesn't it?

    I cried at his speech, too.

    And again when gay marriage was banned in California. You can't win them all, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just want to run around hugging everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Contratulations USA from Canada!!!!!

    My mom's side are american, and I have never been prouder of them. I cried, and it isn't even MY president.

    Suck it Evil!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Music even sounds better!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm looking forward to better days for all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.