Monday, November 24, 2008

True love and blogtypes

I love things like horoscopes and personality tests and such.

This has been on my fridge for several years. It's my favorite horoscope of all time. Even though it didn't turn out to be accurate for that particular day, I clipped it out and hung on to it.

I know it's a little blurry, but if you click on it, it gets ginormous. Which maybe sounds idiotic. Because big blurry is better than small blurry? Maybe sometime around last call. In college.

Anyway.

So that said, I was delighted when my friend Jessica sent me a link to Typalyzer. This is like a Myers-Briggs for your blog.

So I typed in LG. And voila!

ESFP - The Performers

The entertaining and friendly type. They are especially attuned to pleasure and beauty and like to fill their surroundings with soft fabrics, bright colors and sweet smells. They live in the present moment and don´t like to plan ahead - they are always in risk of exhausting themselves.

They enjoy work that makes them able to help other people in a concrete and visible way. They tend to avoid conflicts and rarely initiate confrontation - qualities that can make it hard for them in management positions.


It also tells you what parts of your brain are working when you write.

And I read it and was all, yes to this, no to that...sort of accurate, sort of not. Much like a horoscope. I like it!

For those of you who read Live It Love It, she wrote about this very thing on Friday. And, she's a Performer as well. Which, um, came as a huge surprise to me. Ha.

But then I thought, is everyone drawn to blogging, or at least personal blogging, similar? And since blogging is our very public face, wouldn't most of us be analyzed as performers?

And then I tested a few blogs - Jessica's, for one - and found I we aren't all Performers. Although I still bet the majority of us are.

But this made me realize that much like those Cosmo "Do men think you're a feisty fireball or a ho-hum hockey mom? Find out how hot you are in bed!" kinds of quizzes, I really do approach this kind of thing far too sincerely.

And for this reason, I'm not up for Tarot cards or palm reading. It freaks me out to have someone read my personalized future. What if they're right? The general, read-as-much-as-you-want-into-it approach suits me just fine.

18 comments:

  1. i'm a myers-briggs geek
    i'm an ESTJ all the way. i love hearing what other people are. we used to use this test so much in my old job that i actually became very good and knowing what people were before they got their results... sometimes i'd place bets with my coworkers. i love pigeon holing people : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! Although, I don't agree w/my 'type' at all. A Mechanic? I'm a freaking mechanic?? LOL. =-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. notsojenny - You know, what I didn't mention is that in the Myers-Briggs I'm an INFP. Which is what made me start thinking about the pieces of all of our personalities and compartmentalizing and public faces and such.

    Ryane - Ha! How did they know about your penchant for power tools? :) I wonder how this actually works, you know? I wonder what they do to determine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was equally shocked that I was a performer. And of course by "shocked" I mean "unbelievably non-plussed. And also wondering where exactly they get the soft fabric thing from. Who doesn't like cashmere?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a performer! I'm a performer! The three of us should form a blog band and become big in Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a performer, too.

    "like to fill their surroundings with soft fabrics, bright colors and sweet smells"

    Ok, if by sweet smells you mean dog farts. Well, I guess I don't prefer the smell of dog farts.

    BTW, I gave you an award on my blog today. Swing by to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed, we are not all performers. Some of us are apparently spineless and self-indulgent. ;o)

    And, incidentally, an INFJ in the Meyers-Briggs spectrum.

    But I think I like these things because it's as unbiased an outside perspective as you're going to get. Maybe you don't agree with everything, but it's still nice to get a fresh take, sometimes.

    Is your drawing actually wearing your sassy boots? That's kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LiLu - I dunno. Not me. But then, I wouldn't know otherwise, being a performer and all.

    FreckledK - Do you think Europe is ready for us?

    saratogajean - Awesome, thanks! I will! I know - she sweet smells part was kind of odd.

    Beach Bum - One more! I do think most of us are!

    Jessica - Um, no. I took it the working behind the scenes to be more like, you're not a show off - you know, like the performers.

    She does seem to be wearing my sassy boots! Although she does have a weirdly simian pinched face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had the same result as you with my blog, and the only part I really felt was true for me was:

    "they are always in risk of exhausting themselves."

    ReplyDelete
  10. K you hooked me into commenting, despite many months of my slacking. I seem to score ENTP or ENTJ on Meyers-Briggs, also a performer on the blog test.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, so every single blog I put in was a performer! I envision a room full of five year olds all jumping up and down, screaming "Look at me! Look at ME!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. "They tend to avoid conflicts and rarely initiate confrontation." Interesting - isn't blogging by its very nature recognizing conflicts and initiating confrontation, albeit it in a very civilized, removed forum? You don't seem to avoid confrontation in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, I checked 10:
    1 mechanic
    1 doer
    1 socializer
    5 performers (including me)
    2 artists! Including you! So, to turn ourselves into artists, do we simply blog about the Typealyzer?
    V. v. mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicole - That part is absolutely true for me. And I think you run at full tilt, all the time.

    Brooklyn Boy - Hi! Interesting! I do wonder about similarities among bloggers...

    J - Maybe that's a good description of a lot of us. :)

    Amateur de Fromage - I don't know if you're right about blogging, will have to think about that a bit. But it's true, I don't shy away from confrontation at all.

    A.S. - You are right!!! Now I'm an Artist! V.v.mysterios is the best way to put it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting! It has me at one blog as a doer and at the other blog a performer. I guess I can see that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. But I don't wanna be the mechanic!! I wanna be a performer and go to Europe with the rest of the cool kids. ;-) That's it. I'm blatantly stealing some of your stuff, Lemon, and plugging it into my blog to get that status changed. You too, Frecks. No one is safe until I get to put down the freaking tool box. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. u need to have a look @ this [url=http://jup.cc/k/]Wonderfull.[/url]

    just some help one more and i get pics unlocked

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.