Friday, January 25, 2008

What kind of chair would you be?

"So, if you were a chair," I asked, "what kind would you be?"

I'd already thought about it, and decided he'd be an enormous, comfy armchair. The kind you want to curl up in with a good book and hang out for hours.

He gave it some thought and said he'd be a big leather armchair. The kind you find in libraries in old clubs, with the brass tacks, soft leather cushions, and the really high back. This is exactly what I had in mind.

So he asked it back. What kind of chair would I be?

I'd been thinking about this ever since I said that the Dementor, if he were a chair, would be modern, uncomfortable, and rigid. I love modern design, don't get me wrong. It's just that comfort is not necessarily the point.

What kind of chair would I be?

I'd kind of like to be an Eames La Chaise lounge chair. But I don't think I am. I think I'm comfortable enough to be a lounge-y kind of chair, but I'm a lot softer than that one, with a lot more give. But I don't think I'd be the kind of lounge chair that you pull the handle and the feet come out. In other words, I haven't yet figure it out.

I asked Marta what kind of chair she'd be, and she said a bar stool. A simple, dark wood one. Sleek and elegant and slightly uncomfortable. Because there's only so much accommodating she's willing to do. I thought this was a fantastic answer.

It's hard, I think, to consider your personality and your frame, and then try to match it with an inanimate obejct.

Oh, and PS - This is just random, but I think this modern design site is really cool. I could pick 54 things I'd like from there without a whole lot of effort.

9 comments:

  1. I'd be a plastic school chair, dark blue which goes with everything and shiny, metal legs. Simple, functional, classic but somewhat boring, values fairness, can't help but follow the rules and there for support in a familiar way.

    While both my knowledge of you, LG, and furniture is limited, definitely a worldly, unique and beautiful chair. One where you can sit and chat for hours, laughing and having a good ol'time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I be a bean bag?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spartacus stole my answer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeez, I hate to admit this, but here goes. Chaise lounge. Lots of pillows. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be a Barcelona Chair. I love those. I just like the idea. I like the modern, with a bit of a curved back, sorta looking up feel.

    Walker would be the Eames. Mostly because he loves our Eames... that we found...on the street... because some (incredibly misguided) person LEFT it out on the corner to be found.

    Now I am searching for a Barcelona partner that perhaps someone will also discard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hammock- perfect for a lazy day, but your back is a little sore the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HKW - I love that - both your choice and your thoughtful description. And thank you for the sweet words on the kind of chair I'd be. I just want to hug you!

    Spartacus and FK - I love beanbags. But could never be that flexible for others, quite honestly, even though I might like to be.

    DCup - Chaise with lots of pillows is super comfy - a place you want to be for a long time!

    Janiejane - Those are so pretty. I hope you find one. I love that Walker found that fabulous chair on the corner. It's such a nice one.

    Mary - Hammock - that's good. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would definitely also be a Barcelona chiar, but not in black leather. I would a barcelona chiar in cream ostrich hide or something similar. Buttery soft, smooth, yet high fashion and sleek with chrome legs and clean lines. A classic with a twist.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.