Friday, February 18, 2011

Follicle la la la, la la la la

So I went in this morning for a sonogram and blood work to see how my body has responded to this month's fertility science experiment.

The sonogram made me think of a friend of mine who recently started charting her basal body temperature (BBT).

This BBT charting, if you've not done it, entails taking your temperature first thing in the morning, at the same time every day, before you do anything else.

I tried for a month, but I would wake up at 4 am so anxious about forgetting that it just wasn't worth it. I'd have dreams where I got up and brushed my teeth and then remembered the BBT chart. I failed!

I'm sure the anxiety was raising my temperature. It was certainly ruining my sleep.

But my friend, she said she kind of loves it. She loves seeing the numbers and lining up the data and keeping a nice, organized chart.

I told her she's totally the valedictorian of charting.

So I got to the RE's office and the wait wasn't bad. I think Mondays are the worst.

The nurse called me in and she was like, "I can't wait to see what's happened!"

She's this beautiful, probably six feet tall, Nordic looking woman who is so incredibly nice. She talks to you like you're her favorite person in the world. Totally sincerely.

She makes me feel like the two of us are Team Get Lisa Pregnant.

I mean, of course, yes, I have a husband that figures somewhere into this equation. That somewhere being downtown at 7:30 am Sunday morning.

If that doesn't turn you on, I don't know what will. (Sorry, Nick.)

Anyway.

So I'm up on the table, naked from the waist down, and she's holding the sonogram wand which really just looks like a big dildo, and we're both all, "Oooh! I'm so excited to see!"

Which struck me as funny, but I didn't laugh because I was also in my head all, man, I hope I don't fail...

and then she was like, "This looks good!" and showed me one 21 mm follicle, and then another, and another that might get big enough in time for the moment of magic.

(Follicles, if you don't know - and I didn't - are the sacs inside which your eggs mature. Clomid, as I understand it, pushes you to release more follicles, so you've got a better chance of sperm meeting egg and doing a baby dance.)

She said, "You want them to be at least 18 mm, so these two are absolutely big enough. And you want two or three, no more than four. YOU DID GREAT!"

I may not be the valedictorian of this getting pregnant business, but I walked out of there all, "She gave me an A!"

17 comments:

  1. This post had a lot of funny :) Team Lisa Get Pregnant - love it! You totally earned that A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an overachiever, lady! Congratulations on follicalizing (?)so very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. High five for Team Lisa Get Pregnant! And that's awesome that your nurse talks to you like you're her favorite person in the world. Nothing makes going to the clinic worse than a nurse or doctor with bad bedside manner...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for good news from the dildo cam! I'm so excited for you! So are you selling Team Get Lisa Pregnant t-shirts or pins or something? Because I definitely want one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! congrats on your Grade A follicles!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so glad you have that tough Nordic nurse on your team! If there's a skiing event in the Get Lisa Pregnant games, you guys are set for life. Good luck, little (21mm) follicles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i second the Team Get Lisa Pregnant buttons- we can all wear them on our jean jackets when the weather breaks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAhahahaa "somewhere being downtown at 7:30 a.m.". You totally crack me up. Good luck with everything, especially Sunday a.m., I'm wishing for you to have a girl before mine's a year old!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you are so funny! Fertility science experiment! Baby dance! And the ultrasound wand is TOTALLY a big dildo, and so adds to the surreality of the experience.

    My fingers are crossed :-)

    ~Laura (although I'm certain Moses would agree)

    ps- no more name/url option for comment sign in?

    ReplyDelete
  10. KH - Oh, thank you, my friend! :)

    Stevie - It should definitely be a verb! Follicalizing!

    K-Tee - She really is wonderful. It makes the whole experience so much nicer when I get to see her. I'm not sure why lovely bedside manner is so rare, but it is.

    Janelle - You make me giggle! Dildo cam! I wish I'd thought of that. And buttons or T-shirts - hilarious!

    notsojenny - Thank you! I worked hard! :)

    Alex - Ohh, I hadn't thought of the range of events. You are so right. Skiing! And luge. And if we have to do any marauding.

    Coleen - You are so sweet!

    frugalveganmom - Poor man. Such an early hour.

    Thank you! Hope hope hope!

    Laura - Isn't it? I don't know why I didn't realize it before, but today as she was holding it in her hand I was struck by how it looked.

    And thank you!

    And I'm playing with options for comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lisa... Every day my heart goes out to you. Everyday I get on the computer, and the first thing I do is come and check out your blog to see how you are doing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Team Get Lisa Pregnant!! Just remember... You have the whole internet world on your side! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. My fingers and toes are crossed. I was infertile and all the tests and prodding and poking were worth it , I have 3 big kids now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. When do the Team Get Lisa Pregnant T-shirts go on sale?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for an A in folliclism.
    Fingers toes and bone through the nose all crossed for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dude, she gave you an A+!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.