Friday, February 04, 2011

The sparkle moments

One of the things that never occurred to me about having a child was how much joy creeps into your life and envelops your world, twinkling in unexpected moments like fireflies in a field.

When I got home last night, I could see Nana and Jordan sitting in the living room, reading a book.

The photo is all hazy because of the flash on the window, even though I mashed it up close. But I stood outside, peering through the window, because it was just so sweet. And I knew that when I opened the front door, the focus would shift to me and the spell would be broken.

I stood for as long as I could in the cold, watching her read, and seeing them giggle together.

They were reading a book called, "I Want My Potty" - one Jordan loves, and one we've all read to him approximately 72 kabillion times.

The plot, as you might imagine, is rather thin. But the illustrations are charming and it's really gotten J interested in his potty.

Not in using it. More in saying, "Potty! potty! potty potty!" and carrying it around and such.

I'm using this as positive propaganda for when we eventually start potty training. I mean, the princess loves her potty, after all.

They read the book a couple times. And you could see Jordan sort of elbowing my mom, being all, "Here's where she wants her potty and they have to find it! The admiral has it! Hilarious! Oh, this part always kills me!"

And they'd snuggle into each other and laugh.Especially once you have a kid, so much of life is so prosaic and you can get so caught up in breakfast-lunch-dinner-bath-diapers-grocery-shopping-getting-enough-sleep-no!-don't-touch-that!-and-let's-wash-hands-and-blah-blah-blah.

For someone uninterested in routine and unskilled at consistency, this can get rather tedious.

But then you have these moments - and they actually happen with great frequency - that just fill your soul and make you want to laugh out loud and clap your hands. You expect pixie dust to fall around you.

I wish I could bottle the sparkle moments so that if you were having a bad day, I could share one with you.

15 comments:

  1. This post makes my heart melt and the commentary on Jordan reading made me laugh! I know you would bottle and sprinkle pixie dust if you could - you're so sweet and have a great perspective on being a Mama. I'm glad your family brings so much joy into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I love this. Leurph and kisses to you all. Miss you all desperately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the moments. Such sweet photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that book!! I mean, I haven't read it recently but I remember loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you sharing your stories here...letting us peek in at alll the fun and not so fun.... spreads the sparkle... i promise...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so beautiful. thanks for sharing the sparkle lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I felt my somersault while reading this post. Beautiful, Lisa. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You kind of did bottle it in this post. And thank you, I needed that! Sweet picture and oh golly I remember those days. Makes me want a grandkid or two so I could have more of that dust every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the best propaganda for parenthood EVER.

    Full disclosure: This is what I look forward to the most about hypothetical parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes. yes. yes.
    more pixie dust, please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did, you did, I'm sparkled!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love catching those little moments between people I love. Such a tiny gift.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heather - Hugs and pixie dust to you! Cases and cases of it!

    texpatriate - Love love love to you and your wonderful family!

    kayare - Those really are the moments, aren't they?

    Hillary - Neither Nick nor I had heard of it. Betty bought it on a whim. I love it; Nick hates it.

    suicide blond - I appreciate that! Thank you!

    carly - Thank you for reading! I love sharing sparkle.

    Keenie Beanie - Oh, sweet! Thanks and you have a great weekend too!

    Lynn - Thank you so much. I'm so happy about that. And far as I can tell, grandkids are joy times a million.

    vvk - Huge hugs to you, my friend.

    Kate Bee - Thank you! And this is one of the best things about being a parent. Tremendous joy.

    Dana - I know you know exactly how this is.

    tamater sammich - Yay! Thanks!

    Lemmonex - It's such sweetness, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a sweet moment in time. Thank you for sharing it! And I love the photos. I'm nana to my little ones as well - it's so wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.