Friday, August 26, 2011

Let him eat cake

This year's birthday cupcakes were a much bigger hit than last year's.

For comparison's sake, here's last year. What the video misses is Nick demonstrating how deeeelicious his birthday cupcake is. Jordan was not falling for it. The last thing in the video is me saying, "Don't make him eat cake."

However.

In the intervening year, Jordan discovered the deliciousness that is cake. Often, when you offer him the choices of eggs or waffles for breakfast, he'll say, in a tone that's all, hey, I just had a great idea! "How about cake?"

Anyway, here he is all pleased. He got to choose his cupcake flavor, and then was rather delighted with the candle. We had to light it again three times.
He was so proud. We sang and clapped and re-lit the candle and sang and clapped. Boy, was he pleased.
He quite liked his choice of cupcake. But of course, everyone else's looked just as good, if not better.
Betty gave him a bite, and then, rather than thank you, he pointed to his plate and said, "Put it down there."
And finally, my boy loves to sing. He doesn't always stay on task, but ooh he loves a song, that one.

9 comments:

  1. oh my god hes like a human! Like i get that he always was but there is a level of baby where they go from being like eating, pooping, screaming to like a HUMAN. I dont know if that made any sense. But wow. Where does the time go!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...cupcakes, singing, clapping and laughter...I can't think of a better way to celebrate a birthday.

    Oh man, I really want a cupcake right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cupcakes, hmmm? I can make cupcakes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one of the most important songs in the Universe.
    "Row, row, row your boat
    Gently down the stream,
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
    Life is but a dream."
    Yay Super Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love the Jordan stories. I read these particular posts very, very slowly to savor the loving care with which you describe a moment in his life that will never come again.
    Keep them coming and thanks. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  6. The eyebrows!!! That little movement he does? A lady killer down the road. I'm just saying from experience. I am so with Clearbluewater3 about how he is so "human" now. He has vocabulary skills, he sings, he claps, he brings the food to his face instead of the face to the food! When did all this happen? Was I looking the other way?

    btw, cake is my favorite food. For my 50th birthday I wanted nothing. N O T H I N G but my very own cake. I got it and loved it. Now they make cake flavored vodka!So good. I'm toast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And then suddenly he's a big boy! Oh my gosh, it does happen overnight.

    Thank you for sharing his birthday with us. What a sweetheart he is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, just plain gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clearbluewater3 - I know! Yes, totally made sense. It's kind of crazy how suddenly he morphed from baby to human!

    HK - I really want a cupcake, too, and they're not usually top of my list. But Hello Cupcake makes really nice lemon ones.

    Jessica - I bet you make really effing amazing ones, too. Mmmmm.

    texpatriate - He's pretty extraordinary. Like his namesakes. :)

    Martha - Oh, reading this makes me so very happy! Thank you!

    Lynn - It's all come together in a very dramatic way! He's a big talker, singer, clapper, dancer. It's amazing.

    Also, cake flavored vodka sounds pretty compelling, I must say.

    Lisa - You know better than I do how fast it goes. It's astounding.

    Go-Betty - Like your Ben, he's the love of my life. :) Well, him and Nick, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.