Tuesday, August 16, 2011

They have lots of mutual friends

I think I've mentioned Jordan's fascination with Richard Scarry before.

Right now, it's all Cars and Trucks and Things That Go all the time. All. The. Time.

The other day Jordan pointed to a parked car and said, "Looks like a shoe car." And actually, it did.

So last Sunday, Nick and Jordan were sitting at the breakfast table and I was making tea. I heard Jordan say, "What's that man doing, Daddy? What's that man doing?"

"He's waving."

Jordan repeated, "He's waving."

I was standing at the counter with my back to them. And I was thinking, "Man?" I started mentally going through our books. Man? Waving?

And then Jordan asked, "What's that woman doing?"

"She's waving, too."

"She's waving too, Daddy. She's waving too."

"Yes, she is. They have lots of mutual friends."

Mutual friends?

I turned, curiosity piqued. And there they were, poring over the front page of the New York Times.

The object of their intense scrutiny? Ron Paul and his wife in Iowa.

6 comments:

  1. Between the two of you, J is going to be one erudite kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. declan wants to run a hot dog cart when he grows up. um...thank you, richard scarry?

    also: ha! "mutual friends"

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least the kiddo is broadening his horizons with the reading materials beyond Richard Scarry? I'm not sure about introducing these books to LBM because I'd never hear the end of it, as I do not now hear the end of it when it comes to the I, Spy game Sissy gave him and the Wonder Pets Find Me! book he got from the other relatives.

    Is it just me, or do these tools for learning also double as tools for driving parents to insanity?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Change the paper to the Washington Post and that's pretty much the story of how I learned to read. All good things in my mind... though I might have added something about waving to his followers who share an intellectually dead-end philosophy... but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw man, he's already reading The Times? Way to go starting him young...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica - He's going to have a varied vocabulary, that's for sure.

    Coleen - Jordan will probably want to operate a back hoe. Seriously.

    Moue - I believe you are entirely correct - they are charming learning tools AND will drive us batshit crazy.

    restaurant refugee - Interesting! I don't remember reading a newspaper until I was in 5th grade.

    They didn't get into the politics of it. :)

    That gentleman's lady - Well, no. Mostly he likes to push it off the table watch the newspaper swirl, and rush into the pages, throwing them up in the air. I believe this is the first time he noticed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.