Monday, September 15, 2008

Evil thought that has nothing to do with the wedding and everything to do with the election

I almost never talk politics here. I realize this is a huge departure from my norm, and for those of you who like the light stories, politics is the opposite what you are looking for.

But this is where I am in the moment.

Mostly, although I do believe W fucked us almost as far as possible as a country, and I didn't think we could be more fucked or a bigger global laughingstock until McCain-Palin came along, I leave things alone. I don't believe things are that different with most Democrats or Republicans.

Also, almost all my friends are Democrats. And they're much more politically involved and interested than I am. Which I feel grateful for, because they are really smart and motivated and the kind of people you would actually like to see in politics. I can listen and agree and feel good about it all.

So this weekend Nick and I were out running along the river, talking about what a cretin Sarah Palin is, and how she thinks she's smarter than she is, and what an idiot she looked like when asked about the Bush Doctrine.

Now, I have to admit that I didn't know what it was. But I'm not running for Republican vice fucking president. Or Republican anything. Or, really, anything.

Just, you know, running along the river.

Nick says that he's confident more and more will come out that will turn people against her.

My contention is that no matter what comes out, a lot of people will still vote the McCain-Palin ticket. Maybe the majority of the country. The ones who wanted to have a beer with Bush. Because he seemed like a fun guy to hang out on the porch with.

Nick has more hope than I do. But is also glad to have a British passport at this point.

During this discussion, James Carville passed us, going the other direction. Which has nothing to do with anything. It's just so DC.

So Nick was talking about how obviously great abstinence-only education is. And how it clearly works. And is obviously the best thing ever to promote.

And I suddenly had this amazing/terrible thought. What if Bristol Palin had a late-term abortion?

I know this is a terrible thing to wish for, and if I wished for it, it would heap bad Karma on me in 54 different ways.

So we're clear: I'm not wishing for it.

More thinking, you know, it could really tie things up nicely.

18 comments:

  1. Did you catch the opening sketch of SNL this weekend with Tina Fey as Palin and Amy Poehler as Hilary? I didn't watch the show but saw the sketch on nbc.com. Hilarious. Laughter guaranteed. Especially a line about the Bush doctrine and Tina/Sarah flirting with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok . . . how about the theory that Bristol's pregnancy is in fact a fiction, a smoke screen created to obfuscate the fact that Trig is actually HER child. If this is the case, stay tuned for her to have a "miscarriage" soon. For those who say all of this is immaterial to the election, I say this: If Trig is indeed Sarah Palin's son, the multiple errors in judgment she made after she went into labor with him (traveling hundreds of miles on an airplane, for example), make me wonder EVEN MORE about her ability to make sane decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see Russia from my house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. heh. She can see Russia from her house. :)

    And you're right about all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HKW - That was fantastic! I didn't see it. You just made my day a whole lot better!

    LJ - That one seems really odd to me. I just don't believe that that could be kept a secret.

    FreckledK - Hahaha! So great!

    Slightly Disorganized - As are you. We all are. It's all the people we don't know who worry me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, awesome. I seriously had almost the exact same talk with my hubby this weekend! I'm glad we aren't alone in our thoughts (sometimes we wonder living in a Red state) Anyway, I said the same thing as Nick - I think there's more secrets to come...let's hope!

    I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I didn't agree with you but I do- no matter what comes out of the closet, all those people who elected DoubleYah just are not voting Obama. They just aren't. And so, no matter what happens or what we find out about her... they're still going to vote McCain.

    It is a very scary thought. I hope we're wrong and Nick's right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are going to question Gov. Palin you really ought to show more dereference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-steinem4-2008sep04,0,1290251.story

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every single person I know feels this way, which is why I think "well obviously they're not going to win. Thank God."

    And then I see the polling and realize how many people fucking support McCain-Palin and I FREAK OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Global warming is just God hugging us closer.

    Really.

    She angers me so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Canaan - I am glad to hear that! I would be struggling in a red state, I've gotta say.

    LivitLuvit - It is very scary. I hope Nick is right as well.

    RestaurantRefugee - You are right. because otherwise she might get me fired.

    Anonymous - I hope, I hope that's right.

    Brett - I know. She infuriates me. And I hate her smug, stupid smile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am DEEPLY worried, because Dubya won TWICE! Well, once and a gimme really. But yeah, I imagine all sorts of horrible scenarios with McCain disabled and Palin declaring martial law and doing whatever the fuck she wants. Truly terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. J - I KNOW!!! Plus she'll have all her high school friends in key positions. Because they can see Alaska from their porches as well. Nick just reminded me that Dan Quayle was ridiculed repeatedly for being dumb, and they won once. It's so appalling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sucks that some conservatives really don't care about the lies from the McCain/Palin campaign! It's freakin ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved "I can see Russia from my house!" on SNL.

    Unfortunately, I think you are right about people voting for McCain Palin. My SIL was visiting this weekend. Somehow the election came up. Her brilliant take on it? "I'd never vote for anyone who's middle name is Hussein."

    I had to get up and leave the room. The stupidity was sucking out all the oxygen. I fear there's a lot of that in the U.S.A. right now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. But McCain rhymes with Hussein!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here's the question about Bristol Palin that really interests me: If her mom doesn't win the election, will she still marry her baby-daddy? Because I'm guessing the "we're pregnant, oh look, we have to get married now" had NO pressure whatsoever from the parentals there.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.