Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hanging out on the memory veranda

We have been putting together a slide show for our rehearsal dinner.

In doing so, I have strolled down so many memory lanes. And trudged through memory jungles. And slipped through sand in memory deserts. And plunked myself down on the memory veranda.

I chose this photo because it sums up so much about my childhood. It's hard to figure out where to begin, I have to say.

It was taken on our downstairs veranda in Dacca (now spelled Dhaka), Bangladesh. I don't remember why I was dressed up in a sari for the occasion. If you click on the photo, you'll see that I even have matching glass bangles.

I didn't wear a sari on any regular basis, but everything else about the scene is typical. My parents, all glammed up, having cocktails with friends. My long, unkept blonde hair. And my glasses.

I have had glasses since I was four years old. And for a while - longer than I wish were true - I insisted on wearing the glasses over my hair, as well-displayed above.

And my hair, I hated. I wanted black hair, like everyone else around me. And so, in the hopes that it would darken, I refused to wash it more than once a week. And even then, kicking and screaming.

Filthy child? You can't really tell in the picture, but I was, I was.

14 comments:

  1. i love the way all focus of the picture is on you, even the other people in the picture are focusing on you. great shot!


    and i know it's wholly inappropriate but... hubba hubba daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the expression on Betty's face. So full of love. And she's just so beautiful. And you're such a cutie! Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is almost as awesome as the prom pic with the lace fingerless gloves.

    ALMOST.

    Because NOTHING can top that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to see that slideshow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you! I love quirky kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely photo, especially Betty's gaze. Memory lane through photos is a great deal of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great picture . . . you look like Harriet the Spy. And guess what? I also wanted black hair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I always thought you were too cool to be my friend in real life, but now that I've seen the real you, I know that you and I would have gotten on famously. I, too, was once a greasy-haired kid who invented her own very non-cool hairstyles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. notsojenny - I hadn't noticed that, but you're right. Ha, yah, my dad was very cute. :)

    A.S. - Thank you.:) I love how pretty she looks in this photo.

    VVK - Thanks. :)

    Slightly Disorganized - Um, no, nothing. And I will never live those down. And somehow I thought it was hot?!?

    Nicole - I'll email you after we have it all together.

    DCup - Then you definitely would've loved me as a kid.

    HKW - Thanks. It is, it really is fun!

    LJ - Oh, I LOVED Harriet the Spy! I'd forgotten about her! Interesting - probably because of where you grew up as well?

    Alex - Hahha - I've never had anyone say that to me. I imagine that yes, we'd have gotten along famously. We could've compared hair styling tips, even.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh GREAT pic! Love it! I have now skipped through your whole blog - read it cover to cover so to speak. GOOD LUCK for the wedding, I'm so EXCITED for you and I don't even know you! But I feel like I do. I hope you'll be posting pictures afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Miranda! Thank you so much. It really makes me feel good to hear that, and I appreciate your nice wishes! ABSOLUTELY I will be posting pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i LOVE this picture. thanks so much for sharing - it's truly wonderfully hilarious, endearing and beautiful...all at the same time! xoxo, MPD

    ReplyDelete
  13. i LOVE this picture. thanks so much for sharing - it's truly wonderfully hilarious, endearing and beautiful...all at the same time! xoxo, MPD

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.