Wednesday, December 31, 2008

And 2009 draws nigh

The other day Nick asked if we were making resolutions.

"We? You can."

And I really wasn't going to. And then I thought, you know, you can always be a better person. You can resolve to be more patient, kinder, gentler. So I think those are my resolutions.

I sat down and thought about it, and I have got to say that this is the first year in a long, long time that I am ending on a truly grateful note.

I don't know that I was necessarily bitter before (although in some moments I was) but I can't say that I was grateful to the universe. The couple years prior to this one involved some pretty immense struggles, some really dark, pit of despair times.

And when things sucked, and I thought they couldn't get any suckier, I learned that sometimes, things actually can. I cried a lot. A lot lot lot.

So I didn't necessarily end the year all, yay!

By the end of last year, I'd fallen for Nick, but my intense Internet dating dating and more dating experiences leading up to him had taught me to be cautious, to expect the worst, to deflect, to dodge. And so this time last year, while I adored him, I was still being pretty careful.

Me? I was not getting hurt again.

And then somewhere in January the feeling settled that actually, he was right and honest and true, and that we were in fact going to be together always and forever, barring a weird blimp accident. Or a sudden and unexpected marriage proposal by Jon Stewart.

I'm kidding of course. Blimp accidents are so rare.

So in February he asked me to marry him, and I said yes, an in September I had the funnest, best day of my life. Not to make my life all about Nick, but this year certainly has been, and he has made it a really good one.

We have our ups and downs, and I know I can be immensely trying and make him want to scream, which he doesn't, and sometimes he frustrates me so much that I seriously want to pull his hair, hard, but I don't. But for the most part, things are easy and good - easier and better and more fun than I'd ever imagined life and love would be for me.

I hope things in your lives are good, and that for you this is one of those grateful years. And if it isn't - because sometimes, that just isn't how things go - I truly and honestly hope that 2009 is a great one.

Hugs to all and Happy New Year!

20 comments:

  1. Lisa, like I said before, you're a hopeful inspiration to all of us still out there looking. Congrats on '08 and good luck in '09.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the proposal post. Oh, how lovely.

    What a difference a year makes, huh? You deserve every single wonderful thing, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't read the proposal post either. *Sound of heart melting*

    I am so, so happy for you, dear. Happy Freakin New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great picture of you two... :-)

    Wonderful people deserve wonderful years... and more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FoggyDew - Thank you. You're an amazing guy and a similarly incredible woman is out there for you. All the best in the upcoming year!

    Lemmonex - One year. Crazy. Thanks, sweetie - you deserve a huge amount of wonderfulness yourself.

    LiLu - Oh, hugs hugs to you! I'm so happy for you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, VVK. I love that pic. :) Yes, wonderful people deserve wonderfulness - and you definitely do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your writing is almost as beautiful as you are. I wish you and your husband a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year to you both!

    And cheers to rediscovering your reckless abandon in time for Nick and January, and all of your Januarys to come. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. JoLee - Thanks so much! I wish you a wonderful 2009!

    Jessica - Well, not quite reckless abandon, although I do love the sound of it! Hugs to you, sweetie and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A true belly laugh...great pic!

    Happy 2009 to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa,

    I have truly enjoyed reading your blog. I think you are bright and beautiful and an incredible writer. You put so many of my thoughts in to words. To top it off you have those great looks, the brains and the balls to tell it like it is. I admire you for that. It is totally why I read your blog. You are for real! I wish for you and Nick more of the sweet life you are building. Thanks for sharing. Happy All Year
    Lynn in Brrrrrrrrrr, North Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  12. 2008 was a great year. Except the recession I guess. Happy, happy 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you both a Super Happy 2009

    All the good stuff from 2008 take it with you into 2009 then watch it grow into amazingly wow stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That picture rocks.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been 2 years already that I've been following your ups and downs. What a glorious year it's been for you!

    I hope that 2009 brings you just as much happiness, if not more!

    xoxoxox

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you nailed the dismount this year. 10.0 10.0 9.5 10.0. Gold Medal stuff. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad that you are doing well! And I absolutely LOVE the wedding picture! You both look so happy together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zandria - Belly laughs are the absolute best! Here's wishing for lots of them for all of us in the new year!

    Lynn in BRRRR - The coldest I have been in my life is Christmas in ND. Thanks for such kind words. I'm so glad you read my blog. Happy All Year to you!

    HKW - Well, yah, the recession, not so great. But personally, good stuff. Happy 2009!

    Rio - Wishing the same for you!

    Susan - And to you! Thanks!

    DCup - Such hugs to you and your family. We've been in each other's bloglives since almost the beginning, huh?

    Anonymous - Finally, sticking the landing. Happy New Year to you!

    Katherine - Thank you so much! I love that picture so. We laughed so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not to be negative, but for me? 2008 pretty much sucked.

    I'm grateful for a new year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I maintain that Nick is the luckiest man ever. Hope 2009 is a good year for you both - and I'm sure it will be. Much love!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.