Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Half an alphabet and broken pants

Currently the only functional tub in our house is up on the fourth floor.

Our eventual master bathroom has never worked, and Jordan's bathroom, which he and I share, is under construction. Betty has a great shower, but our son hates showers. Haaaates the water on his head.

So he and I trek up to the fourth floor to Nick's bathroom. Jordan finds it extremely exciting. "We're going to have a bath in Daddy's bathtub! Let's play with his toys!"

I took a cute video of Jordan bobbing around in the bath. He thought I was taking his picture, so he kept grinning for the camera saying, "Cheese!" over and over.

And then he sang the alphabet, ending with, "Cheese!"

A friend asked me if I was going to post it on my blog, and I said I wanted to, but then realized that his little butt was in the frame. "I am worried," I said, "about having it up on the internet for icky pedophiles."

"Are there any other kind of pedophiles?"

Uh. Good point.

So I give you approximately half an alphabet, sung by the flying nun.


----

When I get Jordan out of the bath, I wrap him all up in a towel and cuddle him all swaddled and rock him and say, "Who's my baby?"

I didn't realize I always did this. But I do. Because now, when Nick is the one picking him up all snuggled in the towel, Jordan looks up at his dad and says, "Who's my baby?"

----

Nick and I were talking about how much fun the bath can be, and he said how sad he's going to be when Jordan gets too old to be bathed.

Then I was all, "You're probably going to be bigger than him for a long time. You might be able to force him to let you give him baths through at least junior high school."

Because that wouldn't damage someone for life.

----

It's been a mild winter, but I realized this morning that the span of a winter is still a long time in kid years. In the interim, our kid forgot about shorts entirely.

So when Nick tried to put a pair on him this morning, he was incensed.

"NO! Take them OFF! These pants are BROKEN! I want good pants!"

10 comments:

  1. Agh! He's so cute! Cooper is only 8 months or so, and I'm already envying you for having another baby you can enjoy as a tiny little thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, Miss Dallas, I am pretty daunted by the thought of a tiny little baby all over again...I remember the sweet snuggles, but overwhelmingly I found it so very hard.

      Delete
  2. Jordan is adorable. I love that he forgot about shorts. That must have been part of the debate when shorts were invented. Half the people thinking it's the best thing ever and the other half shouting "these pants are broken!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, Grace - I bet you're right! Except the Californians. I'm sure they were overwhelmingly in favor from the get-go. :)

      Delete
  3. He is an adorable little chap! It's funny how all those little rituals are so important to kids and how they get passed down. My daughter does the same song and dance routine when putting little Abby to bed as I did when I put she and her brother to bed. Same songs and movements and everything. That is so amazing to me....and I just love it. You'll be surprised at the things they remember.

    So you finally got the broken pants on him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet to hear. It makes sense, because I know that the way my mom always did things when I was a kid is still, in my mind, the RIGHT way to do things.

      Nope. Broken pants off. Long pants on. He's stubborn. I don't know where he gets it. :)

      Delete
  4. Broken pants! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love love LOVE the pants comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "These pants are BROKEN!" That is awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nearly spat out some cava when I giggled at the last line.

    You nearly owed me bigtime...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.