Saturday, April 21, 2007

I Cannot Thank You Enough

First of all - thank you. Your thoughts, prayers, energy, God, the Universe, everything worked. My dad can't talk because he's on a respirator and has a tube in his trachea, but he is there. He is alert. He knows us. Writing this makes me cry. Thursday night I was so certain he was gone.

Thank you, thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. I opened email last night and was overwhelmed by the kindness of people who, in most cases, do not know me at all. All the prayers, all the positive thoughts. Offers of support, an ear, someone to lean on, vent to, cry to. I have had my heart squeezed by this generosity over and over.

I have gotten the most supportive, loving emails from people I would say were strangers, except that from the things you have written, I feel like I know you. I can't tell you how touching this is.

My brother does not tell anyone, ever, and this has been a part of our lives for 26 years. I don't fault him - this was how we were raised, and you have to do what is comfortable for you. Me, I think that though there is a stigma attached, people are loving, with an immense capacity for understanding. The people who judge are not the right people to have in your life.

I used to lie, used to cover up. And some people question me writing about this on the Internet, perhaps the most public of venues, except TV. But I put this out there and am getting nothing but love, kindness, support. And I believe that the positive energy you all put into the world for my dad has helped. I do.

I must apologize for posting a group "thank you" - I am going to respond to each of your emails - but last night I just couldn't, and I'm on my way back to the hospital shortly.

Thank you again.

Big hug,

Lisa

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear your Dad has pulled through, Lisa. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad he's OK!

    Hope you both have a restful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending thoughts and prayers to your family. Connections are important, even the ones that happen only through the computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank goodness!!! I just came back from my bike race and the FIRST thing I did was check your blog. Stay strong, and don't forget to tell your father how much you love him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HKW, LBL, Karen, G&D - Thank you. Knowing so many people are pulling for him and for us helps so much.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.