Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Tentative Rainbows - Wednesday, 4:30 pm

Today my dad wanted a Washington Post. He had questions for us to ask the nurse. He was trying to sparkle. Yay!

My brother is fantastic with him. He says things like, "Dad, we have a huge decision for you to make. Are you ready?

My dad nods. I get nervous.

"OK. Our next activity is to get you into the Olympic swimming pool downstairs. And what you need to decide is if you want a red or a blue speedo."

This makes my dad smile. Thank god he's smiling.

Horrifyingly, he actually used to wear a speedo at the American clud in Delhi. My brother goes on to say, "You know, middle school social life is easy enough. And always made easier by the appearance of one's father by the pool. In his blue speedo."

I remember those years. Cringe factor: very high. Almost as high as the black office socks worn with shorts and clogs.

The doctor feels like my dad is progressing really quickly. If he keeps doing this well, they could have the tube out as early as next Monday. They're not going to do the swallow test till then - they want to give his trachea time to heal. But today felt very positive.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that things went well today, and I hope that your dad continues to come back to you.

    The whole speedo thing . . . oy. My dad did the black sock and sneaker thing. It's like a dad basic degree requirement.

    I say "random reader" in that I surfed over to you via some knitting blog (Crazy Aunt Purl? She Just Walks? I don't remember.) and have stayed. I am a local, though--Maryland 'burbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that!! He must feel so thankful to have the support of his kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (clapping hands excitedly)

    So happy to hear this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My internet has been down but I have been thinking of you.

    My best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually got a little misty over this. JST A LITTLE.

    So happy to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen - Thank you. Yah, dads are full of embarrassing outfits, particularly when you're in high school. And really it's just that random is one of my favorite words, and when I see your name, I think, "Oh, Karen! I know her!" And it makes me smile that you add "random reader." And the other day I REALLY needed that smile. I like it.

    VVK - YES! Absolutely! Thanks!

    G&D - Thank you! I believe he is.

    Dagny - Thank you!

    PJ - Thanks so much. I feel everyone here with me, I really do.

    INPY - You are sweet. Thanks.

    Thank you ALL for caring, and for offering continued support. I can't tell you how much it's helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see positive signs and progress. Look forward to more.

    But please. No pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WiB - Thanks. Pictures would be horrifying. No chance of that. I think I'll post a nice pic of my dad from Xmas, though, now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.