Monday, May 08, 2023

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, I am going to tell my beloved mama that if she is ready to let go of this small and pain-ridden body, that we love her enough to let her go.

I cannot stop crying. 

I've cried myself inside out. I've cried myself raw and dehydrated. And still I have more tears.

Today, I took the yellow no-slip hospital socks off her cold feet and massaged them with oil and lavender. I held them, to ground her.

Today, I said, "We love you, and we need you to stay. India, and Jordan and I, we need you here. India wants to drive you somewhere when she gets her driver's license. She asked if you would be here when she can drive. So you need to stay. At least another five years."

I told her over and over how much we need her to stay.

Because suddenly today, today she felt like she was leaving.

Not in a dramatic way.

In a small and gentle way. Which is very like her.

Like she's here, but also floating. Not upset or scared or in particular pain unless you move her. But mostly not here.

Not interested in talking or TV or looking at her phone. Very, very sweet. But mostly tired. Mostly just not...here.

But let me back up. Because I haven't checked in with LG for a long time.

On Wednesday evening, Jordan and I heard a big thump upstairs.

This turned out to be my mom missing a step, just one, the last step of the flight, and hitting the ground.

She hit the ground, and she broke her hip.

I knew falling was a risk for older people, but I just...didn't really think about it for my mom. Yes, she now has a cane. But she's spry!

Turns out you can be spry and still fall and still break your hip.

And then, though you had great hemoglobin numbers that very day, your kidneys can respond very badly to blood pressure fluctuations and anesthesia. 

Surgery is a trauma. Hospitalization is a trauma.

On Friday, she introduced me to the physical therapist as Generalissimo. She told her, when asked about her daily tasks in the household, that cooking was not among them because nobody in our family likes to cook.

True.

That was Friday. Friday!

This weekend she was still here. More tired, but still here.

And today...today she felt very far away.

Her kidneys have not recovered. She's not eating. Not even watermelon, cut in tiny pieces, brought from home.

She's very, very tired. But beyond tired, today she just felt, I don't know. Beyond is the best way I can describe it.

When I sat on the floor with her waiting for the 911 people to arrive she apologized to me. She said she was sorry for all the things she'd put me through. This was one more big hassle.

And my god, I said please, please don't worry about it. I'd do anything for you. 

And tomorrow, I'm going to do the biggest, most brutal kindness I can imagine doing for anyone.

I'm going to tell my little mama that it's OK to go. 

If you need to, you can let go.

If it's too hard, too painful to stay, if it feels better to let go, you can go.

Dad is there. Her parents and siblings are there. Her dearest girlfriends. In fact, just about everyone she has ever loved is already there.

Fortunately Mr. Mitroo did a great job teaching us on those manual typewriters in Delhi, because I'm crying so hard I can barely see. 

I am terrified of losing my mom. I want with all my heart for my kids to still have their Nana right upstairs. I want them to be able to crawl in bed with her when they want to.

I want her here to ask them to walk to the store with them and carry her bags.

I wish desperately that she hadn't taken the stairs on Wednesday.

The thing is, I can beg. I can beg her to stay. I can beg her to try, for me, for the kids, who I know she loves more than life.

But she's had a big life. 

She's had extraordinary experiences. On their whiteboard in the room they invite you to write something interesting about the person. So I wrote that she'd lived in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Ecuador, Egypt, India, Peru, Thailand...

And those are just places. That doesn't begin to scratch the surface of how interesting she is.

But also, she's had a tremendous amount of loss.

And is it fair, if someone is ready to slip gracefully to the other side to try to tether them, just because you personally cannot bear to consider life without them?

I don't think it's fair.

I think the only fair thing to do is to give her the choice. 

Even though I truly cannot bear the thought of living without my mama.

But in the end, I think Sting has it right: If you love someone, set them free.

And that's tomorrow.

23 comments:

  1. Oh hunny bunny. Oh Betty. Sending you all so much love and peace as you navigate this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hunny bunny. Today is surprisingly, thankfully better. Sending you big love and hugs.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written Lisa! Yes it is so hard when they suddenly pass to he other side...it's really shocking and traumatic. If love to meet you for lunch or something soon so we can talk. You will need it!! My heart goes out to you!! 💋

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this. i love you. and those around you. -kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, Kat. Hugs. ❤️

      Delete
  4. Lisa, I am so sorry. Sending you love and hugs❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. ❤️❤️❤️

      Delete
  5. Lisa, you are strong and you will know when it's time. Just as I did with my dad. The pain never goes away BUT the memories last forever. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you right back. I agree. It doesn’t stop hurting, but the memories are beautiful. I know this with my dad, and I know this will be true with my mom. Hugs, dear. ❤️

      Delete
  6. I am so so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I said what I needed to, and she thanked me, and today her energy feels better. I’m scared to hope, but I’m hoping.

      Delete
  7. Sending you so much love and light right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, my heart is with you! As my mom always says to me, you may be small, but you are mighty! Wishing you comfort and peace during this difficult time ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! Small and mighty—I’ll take this for both Betty and me. Thank you so much!❤️

      Delete
  9. just beautiful, Lisa 😘😘😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!❤️

      Delete
  10. Lisa , my tears are flowing with you. Abrazos fuertisimos for all of you. Sending some healing vibes full of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m grateful for them all. Big hugs right back. ❤️

      Delete
  11. Sending so much love ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, this was mg! Mobile comment failure.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! Mobile comments are annoying to use and I can’t log in but it’s Lisa and I’m grateful. :)❤️

      Delete
  12. You’re deep eternal love shines through! Prayers for strength and big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am thankful for all your prayers. ❤️

      Delete

Tell me about it.