Friday, February 08, 2019

How to bring the conversation back here

This is a thing I have been thinking about and don't know what to do.

So, for the last number of years, almost all my blog conversation has been on Facebook. I post links there, and then the conversation takes place mainly on my own personal page, although I do have a Lemon Gloria FB page.

But here's what's bothering me: All those comments get lost. I mean, they're somewhere in the FB machine. But I don't have them.

I don't have recommendations to refer back to, or funny stories, or random thoughts.

And frankly, I'm kind of sick of the conversation taking place on that platform.

I haven't contemplated getting off FB, because I also use Instagram and What'sApp, owned by FB, and I don't picture myself divesting myself of all of those.

But I am in a working group of parents of my son's school, and one of the moms I've been collaborating with is a software developer. And she said she just knows too much to be willing to have FB on her phone, and she does the bare minimum with it.

I am so open about so many things that I hadn't been concerned about the privacy issue.

But I have been thinking about my conversations, and how I'd  like to have them back in my own space. And I'm not sure how to do this.

I looked, and FB does not have a way to turn off comments on a post. So if I post a link, I assume that's where people will still comment.

If I don't post a link, most friends won't know there's a post up. I guess if I'd never started posting on FB, maybe that wouldn't have happened.

But I also find that I write more short, quick little posts--in keeping with FB--and fewer and fewer well thought out blog posts.

And I miss those. And, as I said, I want to take my conversation back from FB.

So if you have any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

Also, in case you have been wondering, I have not been at all diligent about working on my splits or my writing. But I have significantly curbed my sweet consumption (argh! so hard!) and I've been exercising like a fiend.

I continue with my clog obsession, but not with acquisition.

17 comments:

  1. I think I've been commenting via FB primarily because I loathe this interface.

    I do think that Facebook leaches creativity. I've been thinking about using it less, myself.

    I do think that if you turned your blog FB page into a group, you could turn off commenting on those posts as an admin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Jess. Ugh. I hate Blogger!

      Delete
    2. I think I hate it, too. For a long time I thought about moving my blog, and then as I blogged less and less I thought, well, maybe I just won’t blog anymore, so why bother? But now I’m thinking maybe I should just do it?!

      Delete
    3. You should get your own domain! You'll want it for your professional writing endeavors anyway.

      Delete
  2. I just took an online Content Marketing course and they emphasize having your own personal domain name and using that. That way you have the control over everything and obviously social media is a way for sharing and driving the traffic. FB just really has a nice, easy format for comments. It's just so convenient and aesthetically pleasing. For example- this font- maybe I'm just not well versed on how to change it:/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bela, thank you for this input. I know, Facebook is just so easy! I am really wondering if now I should get my own domain and make my own choices....

      Delete
  3. I think I hate it, too. For a long time I thought about moving my blog, and then as I blogged less and less I thought, well, maybe I just won’t blog anymore, so why bother? But now I’m thinking maybe I should just do it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t know much to advice but I’ll say this; I LOVE your blogs, so wherever you go, I will follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, love you, Paula! Thank you! ❤️

      Delete
  5. Sadly it's hard to beat FB as much as your blog posts are amazing it's just harder off social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One, thank you. Two, I’m not opposed to FB. I like it for friend connection. I’m just wondering how to pull the conversation back here and out of there. I feel like it’s sucjing my energy and creativity and I want fewer reasons to be there rather than more.

      Delete
  6. I get this completely. I also deal with the fact that I have some commenters on Facebook who just cannot seem to move away from a certain theme and it makes everybody else uncomfortable. It derails the conversation. It feels like the difference between having a conversation in your living room with friends versus having a conversation with acquaintances in a public place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a perfect analogy. Yes--people can easily hijack the conversation. And there are people who censor on FB because they know their friends or family might see it.

      Delete
  7. I don't always see your posts on FB, so I like them here. However, like others said, I'll follow you anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa,

    I found your post about your father's death by suicide and it brought me to your blog. I'm struggling after my own father's death by suicide. I was also pregnant when it occurred. I've been trying to find someone who experienced something similar. I hope to one day be as strong as you are in your healing. I want to become more active in the AFSP community and help others who suffer a loss while pregnant. I'd love to talk to you sometime. This is the blog I've started: https://mirandajeanm.wixsite.com/website/post/losing-my-father-while-pregnant?fbclid=IwAR3O5xyTQUcwFvALGwRYaMTkUrYLIY8pLXkcJtTlHyhQOjnb-Eq1paDbX6E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Miranda. I am so very sorry for your loss and for your pain. I don't know--I think all of us who survive suicide loss are very strong. Just putting one foot in front of the other sometimes requires a lot of strength. I hope blogging helps. It's helped me a lot. Big hugs, and I am always happy to connect.

      Delete

Tell me about it.