Monday, March 21, 2011

Oh, the carefree days of youth

On Saturday morning, despite grim weather predictions, we awoke to a beautiful, sunny day.

We met friends for coffee at Tryst, which, lucky for us, is kid central and chaotic in the early morning hours, and then headed over to a playground.

By the time we got there, the sun was yellow and sparkly overhead, and a number of parents and children were just arriving. It was a perfect playground kind of day.

On the way in, Nick held the door open for two girls who later told us they were in second grade.

As they walked by, one turned to the other and said, "Wow, this really brings back memories."

Her little friend replied, "Yeah, totally."

8 comments:

  1. Shoot me. Or send me out onto one of those ice floats. Either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. freckledk - They were actually really cute and running around like little girls (which they are, just bigger than the other kids on the playground at that point).

    Maiden Metallurgist - There seems to be a lot less time for childhood lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Little M has been using grown-up sounding phrasings, copied directly from us. It is hilarious, and also alarming.

    Can't for the life of me think of a really funny one. This morning she did say "Mommy, what is missing from this room is music!" Which made me laugh, because I said that sometime in the last few days, and also because I was about to say it again. So she's reading my mind now. Oh, help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha! love it! It's cute when they mimic grownups - sometimes..... But times sure have changed - I would have never said anything like that at age 7 or 8. I don't think my kids did either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my younger brother was around 3 or 4, he would always say "I remember when I was a little kid..." It still makes me laugh thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Cute man.

    Just catching up on your posts from when I've been away. So sorry about the complications- crossing fingers, holding thumbs whatever it is you say. It'll happen, I know it will. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura - That is adorable. J is young enough that he repeats us but it's such short, declarative phrases rather than thoughts. I can't wait!

    Kate - I think it's adorable. And she said it with feeling.

    Stevie - That's hilarious! But I remember that there's such a divide between a 4 year old and a 6 year old - they're sooo much older!

    Miranda - Thanks, my friend. We say crossing fingers, but I like the holding thumbs idea. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.