Friday, November 04, 2022

Adderall and hair loss or maybe not but maybe?

We've been watching Derry Girls, and now I have All These Questions about Northern Ireland, Ireland, the English, the Irish, and so on and so forth.

Apparently I always have a topic or two. I hadn't thought about it until Nick pointed it out some years ago and damned if that's not the case.

And I guess not everyone is like that?

Anyway, Ireland is a new topic, and Nick is relieved, because at least it's not rabies.

Of course my main new topic is ADHD. 

So in my last post I mentioned that Adderall does not seem to be my medication. I thought it was, because I had no side effects. Every week I'd see my therapist, and she'd ask, and I'd report that all was delightful.

And all was delightful, emotionally and brain-organizedly.

However.

I was losing lots of hair. Like, I'd run my hand through my hair and a multitude of strands would come out. My clothes were decorated with long strands of my hair.

This is not my norm.

And finally I stopped and thought about when it began, and realized it coincided with starting Adderall.

So I did two things: 1. I messaged my primary care; and 2. I turned to Dr. Google.

I can't remember in which order I did those. Possibly Google first for immediate panic gratification.

Google says that alopecia is a possible but rare side effect. Reddit has plenty of people talking about Adderall and hair loss. 

My PC said that hair loss shouldn't be a side effect, and that it was more likely a vitamin deficiency, thyroid, or something else, but that if I noticed the hair loss after starting, then it should to be considered. And if I wanted I could stop the Adderall and we could discuss at my physical, if I was OK waiting to see each other.

I was, as it's upcoming.

And I stopped taking Adderall immediately.

It might be OK if you're a person with plenty of hair.

Me, I do not have hair to spare.

(I do have an heir and a spare.)

A wild hare but no hare to spare. 

Watership Down: A novel of hare loss. (OK, they're actually rabbits and it's not that simple.)

What I don't currently have is a calmly organized brain.

So I've been back to fucking around and finding out.

And I'm looking forward to my physical next week.

I wonder if this has happened to anyone reading this? 

And by this I mean hair loss and Adderall.

Or interest in Derry Girls, Ireland, rabies, any of the above.

3 comments:

  1. Loved Derry Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Derry Girls. Daily Adderall script for the past couple years. Have not experienced hair or hare loss.
    Derry Girls and our rugby team’s tour of Ireland got me on the wondering about all things Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland and the history and all that. I’ve looked for videos that can give a summarized history, but I think the subject is too complex for a quick cartoon recap.
    I have watched 4 of the episodes of the series https://youtu.be/R3scz1KD9eE
    It’s crazy in depth and provides a detailed history of many of the major events that transpired, I’m gathering. It’s a lot, but you may find it interesting. Best to you, Nick, and the kiddos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frugal Vegan Mom11/05/2022 9:05 PM

    I too recently became really intrigued by Northern Ireland! Can't remember the reason. But the more I learned, I couldn't believe this was all happening during my lifetime and I was relatively unaware of it. Especially since "Ireland" in general just conjures up thoughts of a fun European nation. I read Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland and loved it.
    p.s. I don't blog anymore but I follow you on FB - Kelly Johnson :-)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.