Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lullaby and good night. Close your eyes and sleep tight. Little angels 'round your head, as you scream bloody murder in your bed.

For the most part, India is the biggest, sunniest dollop of happy joy you can imagine.

She loves the bath, she loves to play, she loves to eat new things, she loves dogs, she loves indoors and outdoors and really, almost everything so far.

She beams at us. She smiles at people on the street. She squeals in delight when she sees Jordan. As soon as you go in to pick her up in the morning she  bursts into smiliness and holds out her arms for you.

FRABJOUS DAY! CALLOOH! CALLAY!

She is just so happy. Except when she's not. Which centers mostly around sleep.

Because sweet India, it must be said, is not so much on the sleeping. It pisses her off to miss anything. And when she shrieks, she is shriiiiiiiillll. Yikes.

For naps and for bedtime, you can get her all drowsy and sweetly snuggled up against you, seemingly too tired to lift her little head. Then you lay her down gently, and while some of the time she just chucks her hands behind her head and falls asleep, other times, she raises holy hell.

Because as soon as she realizes what's going on, her eyes pop open and she is all, "OHHH, NO! NOT HAVING IT!"

Sometimes I keep my hands on her, willing her to settle, and she quiets.

Then I tiptoe away, and immediately she is all,  "DON'T YOU WALK AWAY FROM ME! GODDAMMIT, LADY! PICK ME THE FUCK UP! DID YOU HEAR ME?! NOOOOOO DON'T GOOOOOO!"

If I make the mistake of turning around and heading back to sooth her she's immediately all, "OH HI!" She beams! She holds out her chubby pink arms.

She's immediately delighted. "That rage? Was so 30 seconds ago. Actually, I was kidding! Hahaha!"

I leave her in her crib and pat her back, and she snuggles down. I wait until her breathing settles, until she seems comfortable and content.

And then I walk away.

The harangue begins immediately. "WHAT THE SHIT? COME BACK HERE! ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?!? I'LL FUCKING WAKE UP THE GODDAMN NEIGHBORS! SEE IF I DON'T!"

Open and close the door as quickly and quietly as possible.

"COME BAAAAAAAACK! COME BACK HERE RIGHT NOW! DO YOU HEAR ME?!?"

I want to be all, "Listen, kid, yes, I can hear you. Everyone in the greater DC area can hear you."

3 comments:

  1. While I wish peaceful, restful sleep for your household...as the youngest of 5....I understand India's position. I didn't want to miss out on anything as a child and it's still true for me as an adult. Love the description of her bright smile - it really shows in the photo! Happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - that makes sense to me now! Well, if she turns out like you, I will be delighted! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  2. And now I'm whispering to my baby girl in my belly to please please PLEASE just be a good sleeper.

    Please.

    It's the singlemost fear that kept me on birth control until now.

    (not really, but... sorta)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.