Thursday, April 16, 2015

Well, then. I'll just stick to refrigeration.

Enjoying the nature.
It is spring break, and as the kids are too young for Daytona Beach and plus I still have regrets about getting talked into going there my freshman year of college, we went to visit Leigh on her farm in Western Maryland for a few days.

We drove for approximately 87 hours, although if you don't have children then it only takes about three.

The Lego movie got us through part of the trip, but then it ended and then they began fighting over the iPad. We played I Spy for a while, although India is a little young for it.

"I spy with my little eye a truck! Right there!"

Then we listened to Taylor Swift, which typically engenders good feelings and cooperation. Jordan is now completely over Frozen, and doesn't even remember that he used to sing along.

"NOT Frozen! It's so Bow-wing!" (Suddenly everything is so boring. And he's five. He's never done Internet dating. He has no idea how bored he might be.)

And then, then...

"Are we there yet?"

"Almost."

"Now are we there?"

"Getting closer."

"Are we there, Mama?"


(Clenched teeth, trying not to stab myself in the ears with the nearest sharp object.) "So close!"

Yes. And I'm the person who, until Nick pointed out the practicalities and also sheer insanity, thought it might be fun to drive my mom and kids to Texas. Texas!

I think I'm a smart person and yet I come up with some less than stellar ideas.

So anyway, finally, we were there! There was more grass than my daughter had ever seen in one place! And BIG ROCKS! And a pond! Magical!

I called Leigh to tell her we'd arrived, and said I had a bunch of things I needed to get into the fridge.

(On a side bar, you cannot buy wine or beer in a grocery store in Maryland. You have to go to a liquor store. Who knew?)

She gave me the door code and said, "Sounds great. But you don't have anything to freeze, do you?"

I said I didn't think so, that we only had stuff for the fridge.

"Good. Don't open the freezer."

"Okay?"

"My cat's in there."

"Ah."

"See you shortly!"

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That was pretty much my response. Then I was wondering about taxidermy. But she's just been waiting for the ground to thaw.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, sounds like a rough road trip. Growing up we did bi-annual trips to New England, and the only way it was doable with 3 kids and 1-2 dogs is get up at 3/4 am and GO. Everyone sleeps except the driver (my Dad), no traffic really to contend with (or cops) and typically there are no multiple potty breaks etc., so you get there refreshed for the most part - not really an option when going to Western MD but food for thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it it were a long one we would do that. Or Nick likes the idea of leaving right before bedtime, although in my opinion that was a disaster last summer when we drove home from Maine. Yah, MD is close enough that my main goal was avoiding rush hour. It sounds so snotty, but I think we ought to get a second tablet so they can both see the movie or play games.

      Delete
  3. Hilarious! At the house I grew up in, it wasn't cat, but squirrel in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wellll, hmmm. In our house it was really just stuff like ice cubes and store-bought meat products.

      Delete

Tell me about it.