Sunday, May 08, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

So, I always think that my life lacks glamor and intrigue and that I should seek them out.

And then, when given an activity option, like when Nick asked what I might like to do for Mother's Day, I choose IKEA. To get a play mat and shelves for Jordan's room.

I wasn't being self-abnegating. It was genuinely what I wanted to do.

In other words, it's my own damn fault I lead such a prosaic existence.

Nick gets all clenchy when you mention IKEA so he offered to watch the boy while I went. And I will tell you that I strolled around all by myself like I hadn't a care in the world, and I might be shopping at Armani instead of this huge-horrible-take-over-the-world retailer, and it was so very nice.

(I bought some lingonberry jam to feel more European. And who says College Park isn't exotic, anyway?)

Then I rounded a corner and a father was dropping his son onto one of the display beds, and his son was giggling wildly.

And immediately, I needed to go home. To hug the boy who made me a mama.

I hope you've spent the day exactly as you've wanted. Hug your mama if you can, hug your baby, and give yourself a huge hug from me.

Happy Mother's Day!

Lisa

9 comments:

  1. Oh sweet - Happy Mother's Day to you, Lisa! I spent part of my not-mother's data getting a facial and it was bloomin' lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a big hug to you, Lisa! And to Betty! Happy happy day :)
    We are at the cabin today, doing some heavy chores to get ready for construction to begin. And except for the mouse poop paranoia, I couldn't be happier! :)

    [apologies if this is multiple-posting -- first few tries didn't seem to work.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day Lisa and Betty! Such a sweet photo of Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy Ma's day Lisa, your boy is...gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Jordan is losing the baby/toddler look and has the real little boy look now. He is so damn gorgeous Lisa I can understand how he makes your heart go squish.
    The teenager who lives in my house gave me a hug for Mothers Day. It might not sound like much but it's the first voluntary hug I have had from him in a couple of years so it was a very touching thing, even if he was being a cheapskate and didnt even get me a card. He never does, last card I got was one he made at school at about 7/8 years old lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had a happy mother's day! I actually did! Maybe hubby has it figured out (It only took nearly 6 years) He did the laundry, organized the pantry and, while he took the princess swimming, I took a NAP!

    Give that boy a big squeeze. He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keenie Beanie - That sounds lovely! You deserve it!

    Laura - Ugh to chores and construction! Big hugs to you!

    HK - Thank you, my friend!

    IWASNTBLOGGEDYESTERDAY - Thank you! You, too!

    Go-Betty - Isn't he turning into such a BOY? I can't stand it! I kiss his baby cheeks every chance I get. As for Ben, well, teenagers suck. He'll get better and better as time goes on.

    cla517 - Oh, that sounds great! I saw a lot of fathers with kids out yesterday. Lots of mothers elsewhere!

    I will!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love that pic of J today. It's the hair, which I love to see on all young children; I call it the Fuzzy Duck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I'm so glad you got to do what you wanted to do!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it.